Determining Subunits for Sign Language Recognition by Evolutionary Cluster-Based Segmentation of Time Series
The paper considers partitioning time series into subsequences which form homogeneous groups. To determine the cut points an evolutionary optimization procedure based on multicriteria quality assessment of the resulting clusters is applied. The problem is motivated by automatic recognition of signed expressions, based on modeling gestures with subunits, which is similar to modeling speech by means of phonemes. In the paper the problem is formulated, its solution method is proposed and experimentally verified.
Keywordstime series segmentation multiobjective clustering evolutionary optimization sign language recognition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ong, S.C.W., Ranganath, S.: Automatic Sign Language Analysis: A Survey and the Future beyond Lexical Meaning. IEEE Trans. PAMI 27, 873–891 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Li, H., Zhang, K., Jiang, T.: Minimum Entropy Clustering and Applications to Gene Expression Analysis. In: 3rd IEEE Computational Systems Bioinformatics Conference, pp. 142–151 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Xu, R., Wunsch, D.C.: Clustering. J. Wiley Sons, Inc., Hoboken (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Maulik, U., Bandyopadhyay, S.: Performance Evaluation of Some Clustering Algorithms and Validity Indices. IEEE Trans. PAMI 24, 1650–1654 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Miettinen, K.M.: Nonlinear Multiobjective Optimization. Kluwer Acad. Publ., Dordrecht (1998)Google Scholar
- 16.Ratanamahatana, C.A., Keogh, E.: Three Myths about Dynamic Time Warping Data Mining. In: SIAM Int. Conf. on Data Mining, pp. 506–510 (2005)Google Scholar
- 17.Minimum Entropy Clustering Java package, http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~hli/mec/