A Partially Synchronizing Coloring
Given a finite directed graph, a coloring of its edges turns the graph into a finite-state automaton. A k-synchronizing word of a deterministic automaton is a word in the alphabet of colors at its edges that maps the state set of the automaton at least on k-element subset. A coloring of edges of a directed strongly connected finite graph of a uniform outdegree (constant outdegree of any vertex) is k-synchronizing if the coloring turns the graph into a deterministic finite automaton possessing a k-synchronizing word.
For k = 1 one has the well known road coloring problem. The recent positive solution of the road coloring problem implies an elegant generalization considered first by Béal and Perrin: a directed finite strongly connected graph of uniform outdegree is k-synchronizing iff the greatest common divisor of lengths of all its cycles is k.
Some consequences for coloring of an arbitrary finite digraph are presented. We describe a subquadratic algorithm of the road coloring for the k-synchronization implemented in the package TESTAS. A new linear visualization program demonstrates the obtained coloring. Some consequences for coloring of an arbitrary finite digraph and of such a graph of uniform outdegree are presented.
Keywordsgraph algorithm synchronization road coloring deterministic finite automaton
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adler, R.L., Weiss, B.: Similarity of automorphisms of the torus, Memoirs of the Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 98 (1970)Google Scholar
- 2.Aho, A., Hopcroft, J., Ulman, J.: The Design and Analisys of Computer Algorithms. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1974)Google Scholar
- 3.Bauer, T., Cohen, N., Trahtman, A.N.: The visualization of digraph based on its structure properties. In: RTAGS, Ramat-Gan, Israel (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Béal, M.P., Perrin, D.: A quadratic algorithm for road coloring (2008), arXiv: 0803.0726v2 [cs.DM]Google Scholar
- 5.Budzban, G., Feinsilver, P.: The Generalized Road Coloring Problem (2008), arXiv:0903.0192v, [cs.DM]Google Scholar
- 10.Trahtman, A.N.: Synchronizing Road Coloring. In: 5-th IFIP WCC-TCS, vol. 273, pp. 43–53. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Trahtman, A.N.: The Road Coloring and Cerny Conjecture. In: Proc. of Prague Stringology Conference, pp. 1–12 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Trahtman, A.N.: The Road Coloring for Mapping on k States (2008), arXiv:0812.4798, [cs.DM]Google Scholar