Shuffle: An Enhanced QoS Control by Balancing Energy Consumption in Wireless Sensor Networks
Recently, Wireless sensor networks (WSNs) are increasingly receiving attention in both industrial and academic areas. Most research on WSNs focus on routing and data aggregation; only a few papers discuss the quality of service (QoS). An earlier study introduced a QoS control approach based on the gur game. The gur game-based scheme can maintain the QoS without knowing total number of sensors. However, the lifetime of WSN is limited for the gur game-based scheme due to unbalanced power consumption. This paper proposes an enhanced QoS control scheme, namely Shuffle, periodically swapping active and sleep sensors to balance power consumption. This scheme uses the characteristic of gur game and extends lifetime with little modification. We evaluate Shuffle in various environments, showing that it significantly improves lifetime. The simulation result presents that Shuffle indeed compensates for the drawbacks and maintains the strengths of the Gur game-based method.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Network Gur Game QoS Control Lifetime
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Iyer, R., Kleinrock, L.: QoS Control for Sensor Networks. In: IEEE International Communication Conference. IEEE Press, New York (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Tsai, R.G., Wang, H.L.: Extending Lifetime of a QoS Control Scheme in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Workshop of E-life Digital Technology, Tainan, Taiwan (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Lo, H.J., Wang, H.L.: Power-saving QoS Control in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Mobile Computing Workshop, Changhua Taiwan (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhao, L., Xu, C., Xu, Y., Li, X.: Energy-Aware QoS Control for Wireless Sensor Network. In: IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications. IEEE Press, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, D., Varshney, P.K.: QoS support in wireless sensor networks: A survey. In: International Conference on Wireless Networks. IEEE Press, New York (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Kay, J., Frolik, J.: Quality of Service Analysis and Control for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: 1st IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad hoc and Sensor Systems. IEEE Press, New York (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Frolik, J.: QoS Control for Random Access Wireless Sensor Networks. In: IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference. IEEE Press, New York (2004)Google Scholar