The Ant Search Algorithm: An Ant Colony Optimization Algorithm for the Optimal Searcher Path Problem with Visibility
In the first part of this paper, we present the Optimal Searcher Path problem with Visibility, a novel path planning approach that models inter-region visibility and that uses concepts from search theory to model uncertainty on the goal’s (i.e., the search object) detectability and location. In the second part, we introduce the Ant Search algorithm, a solving technique based on ant colony optimization. Our results, when compared with a general mixed-integer programming model and solver, show that Ant Search is a promising technique for handling this particular complex problem.
KeywordsAnt search optimal searcher path problem path planning search theory ant colony optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Frost, J.R.: Principles of Search Theory, part I-IV (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Hansen, S.R.: Applications of Search Theory to Coordinated Searching by Unmanned Aerial Vehicles. Master’s thesis. Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Brigham Young Univ., Provo, Utah, USA (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Hollinger, G.A.: Search in the Physical World. Proposal for Ph.D. Thesis, Robotics Institute, Carnegie Mellon Univ., Pittsburgh, PA, USA (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Hoos, H.H., Stützle, T.: Stochastic Local Search: Foundations and Applications. Elsevier, The Netherlands (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Lau, H.: Optimal Search in Structured Environments. Ph.D. Thesis. The University of Technology, Sydney, Australia (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Morin, M., Lamontagne, L., Abi-Zeid, I., Lang, P., Maupin, P.: The Optimal Searcher Path Problem with a Visibility Criterion in Discrete Time and Space. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Information Fusion, pp. 2217–2224. ISIF IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Stone, L.D.: Theory of Optimal Search. Topics in Operations Research, INFORMS (2004)Google Scholar