On Column-Restricted and Priority Covering Integer Programs
In a column-restricted covering integer program (CCIP), all the non-zero entries of any column of the constraint matrix are equal. Such programs capture capacitated versions of covering problems. In this paper, we study the approximability of CCIPs, in particular, their relation to the integrality gaps of the underlying 0,1-CIP.
If the underlying 0,1-CIP has an integrality gap O(γ), and assuming that the integrality gap of the priority version of the 0,1-CIP is O(ω), we give a factor O(γ + ω) approximation algorithm for the CCIP. Priority versions of 0,1-CIPs (PCIPs) naturally capture quality of service type constraints in a covering problem.
We investigate priority versions of the line (PLC) and the (rooted) tree cover (PTC) problems. Apart from being natural objects to study, these problems fall in a class of fundamental geometric covering problems. We bound the integrality of certain classes of this PCIP by a constant. Algorithmically, we give a polytime exact algorithm for PLC, show that the PTC problem is APX-hard, and give a factor 2-approximation algorithm for it.
KeywordsApproximation Algorithm Integral Solution Constraint Matrix Priority Version Line Cover
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Carr, R.D., Fleischer, L.K., Leung, V.J., Phillips, C.A.: Strengthening integrality gaps for capacitated network design and covering problems. In: Proceedings of ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, pp. 106–115 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Chakrabarty, D., Grant, E., Könemann, J.: On column-restricted and priority covering integer programs. arXiv eprint (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Chekuri, C., Ene, A., Korula, N.: Unsplittable flow in paths and trees and column-restricted packing integer programs. In: Proceedings of International Workshop on Approximation Algorithms for Combinatorial Optimization Problems (2009) (to appear)Google Scholar
- 7.Chekuri, C., Mydlarz, M., Shepherd, F.B.: Multicommodity demand flow in a tree and packing integer programs. ACM Trans. Alg. 3(3) (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Chuzhoy, J., Gupta, A., Naor, J., Sinha, A.: On the approximability of some network design problems. ACM Trans. Alg. 4(2) (2008)Google Scholar
- 16.Korula, N.: Private Communication (2009)Google Scholar
- 17.Rajagopalan, S., Vazirani, V.V.: Primal-dual RNC approximation algorithms for (multi)set (multi)cover and covering integer programs. In: Proceedings of IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science (1993)Google Scholar
- 21.Trevisan, L.: Non-approximability results for optimization problems on bounded degree instances. In: Proceedings of ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 453–461 (2001)Google Scholar