Predicting the Development of Juvenile Delinquency by Simulation
A large number of delinquent activities are performed by adolescents and only occur during this period in their lives. One of the main factors that influence this behaviour is social interaction, mainly with peers. This paper contributes a computational model that predicts delinquent behaviour during adolescence based on interaction with friends and classmates. Based on the model, which was validated based on empirical data, the level of delinquency of pupils is simulated over time. Furthermore, simulation experiments are performed to investigate for hypothetical scenarios what is the impact of the division of students over classes on the (individual and collective) level of delinquency.
Keywordssocial simulation social learning delinquent behaviour
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bosse, T., Gerritsen, C., Klein, M.C.A.: Agent-Based Simulation of Social Learning in Criminology. In: Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Agents and AI, ICAART 2009, pp. 5–13. INSTICC Press (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Bosse, T., Gerritsen, C., Klein, M.C.A., Weerman, F.M.: Development and Validation of an Agent-Based Simulation Model of Juvenile Delinquency. In: Proc. of the Int. Symposium on Social Intelligence and Networking, SIN 2009, pp. 200–207. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Davidsson, P.: Agent Based Social Simulation: A Computer Science View. Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation 5(1) (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Gottfredson, M., Hirschi, T.: A General Theory of Crime. Stanford University Press (1990)Google Scholar
- 5.Green, D.M., Swets, J.A.: Signal Detection Theory and Psychophysics. Wiley, NY (1966)Google Scholar
- 11.Sutherland, E.H., Cressey, D.R.: Principles of Criminology, 7th edn. J.B. Lippincott, Philadelphia (1966)Google Scholar
- 14.Weerman, F.M., Smeenk, W., Harland, P. (eds.): Problem behavior of students during secondary education: Individual development, student networks and reactions from school (in Dutch). Aksant, Amsterdam (2007)Google Scholar