Self-organisation of an 802.11 Mesh Network
- 1.4k Downloads
The self-organisation of telecommunications networks has to confront the two challenges of the scalability and the stability of the solution. This paper describes a distributed, co-operative multiagent system in which agents make decisions based only on local knowledge — that guarantees scalability. Extensive simulations indicate that stability is ensured by the agent’s making improvements to the network settings that improve the social performance for all agents in a two-hop range. Our overall goal is simply to reduce maintenance costs for such networks by removing the need for humans to tune the network settings.
KeywordsShort Path Multiagent System Mesh Network Wireless Mesh Network Distribute Coordination Function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Raniwala, A., Chiueh, T.c.: Architecture and Algorithms for an IEEE 802.11-based Multi-channel Wireless Mesh Network. In: Proceedings IEEE Infocom 2005. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Ko, B.J., Misra, V., Padhye, J., Rubenstein, D.: Distributed Channel Assignment in Multi-Radio 802.11 Mesh Networks. Technical report, Columbia University (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Mishra, A., Rozner, E., Banerjee, S., Arbaugh, W.: Exploiting partially overlapping channels in wireless networks: Turning a peril into an advantage. In: ACM/USENIX Internet Measurement Conference (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Mishra, A., Shrivastava, V., Banerjee, S.: Partially Overlapped Channels Not Considered Harmful. In: SIGMetrics/Performance (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Akyildiz, I.F., Wang, X., Wang, W.: Wireless mesh netowrks: a survey. Computer Networks, 445–487 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Vasudevan, S.: A Simulator for analyzing the throughput of IEEE 802.11b Wireless LAN Systems. Master’s thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Leith, D., Clifford, P.: A self-managed distributed channel selection algorithm for wlans. In: Proceedings of RAWNET, Boston, MA, USA, pp. 1–9 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Tourrilhes, J.: Robust Broadcast: Improving the reliability of broadcast transmissions on CSMA/CA. In: Proceedings of PIMRC 1998, pp. 1111–1115 (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Ramachandran, K., Belding, E., Almeroth, K., Buddhikot, M.: Interference-aware channel assignment in multi-radio wireless mesh networks. In: Proceedings of Infocom 2006, Barcelona, Spain, pp. 1–12 (2006)Google Scholar