A Proposal for a Multilingual Epidemic Surveillance System
In epidemic surveillance, monitoring numerous languages is an important issue. In this paper we present a system designed to work on French, Spanish and English. The originality of our system is that we use only a few resources to perform our information extraction tasks. Instead of using ontologies, we use structure patterns of newspapers articles. The results on these three languages are encouraging at the preliminary stage and we will present a few examples of interesting experiments in other languages.
KeywordsRelevant Document Machine Translation Newspaper Article Relevant Content Press Article
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Hull, Grefenstette: Querying across languages: a dictionary-based approach to multilingual information retrieval. In: Proceedings of the 19th annual international ACM SIGIR conference on Research and development in information retrieval (1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Itule, Anderson: News writing and reporting for today’s media. Mcgraw-Hill College, New York (1991)Google Scholar
- 4.Kando: Text Structure Analysis as a Tool to Make Retrieved Documents Usable. In: 4th International Workshop on Information Retrieval with Asian Languages, Taipei, November 11-12, pp. 126–132 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Lucas: The enunciative structure of news dispatches: A contrastive rhetorical approach. In: Ilie (ed.) Language, culture, rhetoric: Cultural and rhetorical perspectives on communication, ASLA, Stockholm, pp. 154–164 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Reboul, Moeschler: La pragmatique aujourd’hui. Une nouvelle science de la communication. Paris: Le Seuil (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Riloff, Schafer, Yarowski: Inducing information extraction systems for new languages via cross language projection. In: 19th international conference on Computational linguistics, Taipei, Taiwan, vol. 1, pp. 1–7. Association for Computational Linguistics (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Sperber, Wilson: Relevance: Communication and cognition. Blackwell Press (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Linge, Steinberger, Weber, Yangarber, van der Goot, Al Khudhairy, Stilianakis.: Internet surveillance systems for early alerting of health threats in Eurosurveillance 14(13) (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Steinberger, Fuart, Van der Goot, Best, von Etter, Yangarber.: Text mining from the Web for medical intelligence in Mining massive data sest for security. IOS Press, Amsterdam (2008)Google Scholar