Efficient Scalable Video Streaming over P2P Network
In this paper, we exploit the characteristics of scalable video and Peer-to-peer (P2P) network in order to propose an efficient streaming mechanism for scalable video. The scalable video is divided into chunks and prioritized with respect to its significance in the sliding window by an efficient proposed piece picking policy. Furthermore the neighbour selective policy is also proposed to receive the most important chunks from the good peers in the neighbourhood to maintain smooth content delivery of certain Quality of Service for the received video. Experimental evaluation of the proposed system clearly demonstrates the superiority of the proposed approach.
KeywordsScalable video coding Peer to peer Bittorrent
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ramzan, N., Zgaljic, T., Izquierdo, E.: An Efficient Optimisation Scheme for Scalable Surveillance Centric Video Communications. Signal Processing: Image Communication 24, 510–523 (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Pouwelse, J.A., Garbacki, P., Wang J., Yang, J., Iosup, A., Epema, D., Reinders, M., van Steen, M.R., Sips, H.J.: Tribler: A social-based based peer to peer system. In: 5th Int’l Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems (IPTPS) (February 2006), http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.60.8696
- 3.Mrak, M., Sprljan, N., Zgaljic, T., Ramzan, N., Wan, S., Izquierdo, E.: Performance Evidence of Software Proposal for Wavelet Video Coding Exploration Group. Technical Report, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11/MPEG2006/M13146 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Cohen, B.: Incentives build robustness in BitTorrent. In: Proc. of First Workshop on Economics of Peer-to-Peer Systems, Berkeley, CA (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Mrak, M., Izquierdo, E.: Spatially Adaptive Wavelet Transform for Video Coding with Multi-Scale Motion Compensation. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, September 2007, vol. 2, pp. 317–320 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Zgaljic, T., Sprljan, N., Izquierdo, E.: Bit-Stream Allocation Methods for Scalable Video Coding Supporting Wireless Communications. Signal Processing: Image Communications 22, 298–316 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Tucker, T., Pate, D., Rattanapoka, C.: Yet Another Bittorrent Client, http://pingpongabc.sourceforge.net/