On a State-Constrained PDE Optimal Control Problem arising from ODE-PDE Optimal Control
The subject of this paper is an optimal control problem with ODE as well as PDE constraints. As it was inspired, on the one hand, by a recently investigated flight path optimization problem of a hypersonic aircraft and, on the other hand, by the so called ”rocket car on a rail track“-problem from the pioneering days of ODE optimal control, we would like to call it ”hypersonic rocket car problem”. While it features essentially the same ODE-PDE coupling structure as the aircraft problem, the rocket car problem’s level of complexity is significantly reduced. Due to this fact it is possible to obtain more easily interpretable results such as an insight into the structure of the active set and the regularity of the adjoints. Therefore, the rocket car problem can be seen as a prototype of an ODE-PDE optimal control problem. The main objective of this paper is the derivation of first order necessary optimality conditions.
Key wordsOptimal control of partial differential equations ODE-PDE-constrained optimization state constraints
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The AMPL Company, http://www.ampl.com/, 2007.
- 3.Bushaw, D. W., PhD Thesis, supervised by Solomon Lefschetz, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, 1952, published as D. W. Bushaw, Differential Equations with a Discontinuous Forcing Term. Experimental Towing Tank, Stevens Institute of Technology, Report No. 469, January 1953.Google Scholar
- 5.Chudej, K., Pesch, H. J.,Wächter, M., Sachs, G., Le Bras, F., Instationary Heat Constrained Trajectory Optimization of a Hypersonic Space Vehicle, to appear in: Proc. of 47th Workshop Variational Analysis and Aerospace Engineering, International School of Mathematics „Guido Stampacchia“, Erice, Italy, 8.9.–16.9.2007.Google Scholar
- 8.Pesch, H. J., Rund, A., von Wahl, W., Wendl, S., On a Prototype Class of ODE-PDE State-constrained Optimal Control Problems. Part 1: Analysis of the State-unconstrained Problems, in preparation.Google Scholar
- 9.Pesch, H. J., Rund, A., von Wahl, W., Wendl, S., On a Prototype Class of ODE-PDE State-constrained Optimal Control Problems. Part 2: the Stateconstrained Problems, in preparation.Google Scholar
- 10.Pesch, H. J., Rund, A., von Wahl, W., Wendl, S., On some new phenomena in state-constrained optimal control if ODEs as well as PDEs are involved, to appear in Control and Cybernetics.Google Scholar
- 12.Wächter, M., Optimalflugbahnen im Hyperschall unter Berücksichtigung der instationären Aufheizung, PhD Thesis, Technische Universität München, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Munich, Germany, 2004.Google Scholar