Turning Time from Enemy into an Ally Using the Pomodoro Technique
Time is one of the most important factors dominating agile software development processes in distributed settings. Effective time management helps agile teams to plan and monitor the work to be performed, and create and maintain a fast yet sustainable pace. The Pomodoro Technique is one promising time management technique. Its application and adaptation in Sourcesense Milan Team surfaced various benefits, challenges and implications for distributed agile software development. Lessons learnt from the experiences of Sourcesense Milan Team can be useful for other distributed agile teams to turn time from enemy into an ally.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ågerfalk, P. J., Fitzgerald, B., Holmstom, H., Lings, B., Lundell, B., & Ó Conchúir, E. (2005). A framework for considering opportunities and threats in distributed software development. In Proceedings of the international workshop on distributed software development (DiSD 2005) (pp. 47–61), Paris, 29 August 2005. Vienna: Austrian Computer Society. Google Scholar
- 2.Agile Manifesto (2001). http://www.agilemanifesto.org/, last visit Nov. 2009.
- 3.Beck, K. (2000). Extreme programming explained: Embrace change (1st ed.). Upper Saddle River: Addison-Wesley. Google Scholar
- 4.Brooks, F. P. (1975). The mythical man-month—Essays on software engineering. Upper Saddle River: Addison-Wesley. Google Scholar
- 5.Cirillo, F. The pomodoro technique (XPLabs Technical Report version 1.3). English Version. http://www.tecnicadelpomodoro.it. Published 15 Jun 2007.
- 7.Espinosa, J. A., Cummings, J. N., Wilson, J. M., & Pearce, B. M. (2003). Team boundary issues across multiple global firms. Journal of Management Information Systems, 19(4), 157–190. Google Scholar
- 9.Gobbo, F., & Vaccari, M. (2008). The pomodoro technique for sustainable pace in extreme programming teams. In Proceedings of XP2008, Limerick, June 2008. Google Scholar
- 10.Hazzan, O., & Dubinsky, Y. (2007). The software engineering timeline: A time management perspective. In Software-science, technology & engineering, 2007. SwSTE 2007. IEEE international conference on (pp. 95–103). Herzlia, Israel. Google Scholar
- 11.Humphrey, W. S. (2000). Introduction to the team software process. SEI series in software engineering. Upper Saddle River: Addison-Wesley. Google Scholar
- 12.PMI (2004). A guide to the project management body of knowledge (PMBOK). Google Scholar