Region Based Color Image Retrieval Using Curvelet Transform
Region based image retrieval has received significant attention from recent researches because it can provide local description of images, object based query, and semantic learning. In this paper, we apply curvelet transform to region based retrieval of color images. The curvelet transform has shown promising result in image de-noising, character recognition, and texture image retrieval. However, curvelet feature extraction for segmented regions is challenging because it requires regular (e.g., rectangular) shape images or regions, while segmented regions are usually irregular. An efficient method is proposed to convert irregular regions to regular regions. Discrete curvelet transform can then be applied on these regular shape regions. Experimental results and analyses show the effectiveness of the proposed shape transform method. We also show the curvelet feature extracted from the transformed regions outperforms the widely used Gabor features in retrieving natural color images.
KeywordsImage Retrieval Gabor Filter Retrieval Performance Gabor Feature Query Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Manjunath, B.S., Ma, W.Y.: Texture Features for Browsing and Retrieval of Large Image Data. IEEE Trans. on PAMI 18(8), 837–842 (1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Manjunath, B.S., et al.: Introduction to MPEG-7. John Wiley & Son Ltd., Chichester (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Bhagavathy, S., Chhabra, K.: A Wavelet-based Image Retrieval System. Technical Report—ECE278A, Vision Research Laboratory, University of California, Santa Barbara (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Do, M.N.: Directional Multiresolution Image Representations. PhD Thesis, EPFL (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Sumana, I.J., et al.: Content based image retrieval using curvelet transform. In: Proc. of Int. workshop on MMSP, pp. 11–16 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Wang, J.Z., et al.: Simplicity: semantics-sensitive integrated matching for picture libraries. IEEE Trans. on PAMI 23(9), 947–963 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Liu, Y.: Region-based image retrieval with high-level semantics. Ph. D. Thesis, Monash University (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Coreman, T.H., et al.: Introduction to Algorithms. The MIT Press, Cambridge (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Deng, Y., Manjunath, B.S.: Unsupervised segmentation of color-texture regions in images and video. IEEE Trans. on PAMI 23(8), 800–810 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Manjunath, B.S., Ma, W.Y.: Texture features for browsing and retrieval of image data. IEEE Trans. on PAMI 18(8), 837–842 (1996)Google Scholar