A Church-Style Intermediate Language for MLF
MLF is a type system that seamlessly merges ML-style implicit but second-class polymorphism with System-F explicit first-class polymorphism. We present xMLF, a Church-style version of MLF with full type information that can easily be maintained during reduction. All parameters of functions are explicitly typed and both type abstraction and type instantiation are explicit. However, type instantiation in xMLF is more general than type application in System F. We equip xMLF with a small-step reduction semantics that allows reduction in any context and show that this relation is confluent and type preserving. We also show that both subject reduction and progress hold for weak-reduction strategies, including call-by-value with the value-restriction.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Herms, P.: Partial Type Inference with Higher-Order Types. Master’s thesis, University of Pisa and INRIA (2009) (to appear)Google Scholar
- Le Botlan, D.: MLF: An extension of ML with second-order polymorphism and implicit instantiation. PhD thesis, Ecole Polytechnique (June 2004) (english version)Google Scholar
- Le Botlan, D., Rémy, D.: MLF: Raising ML to the power of System-F. In: Proceedings of the Eighth ACM SIGPLAN International Conference on Functional Programming, August 2003, pp. 27–38 (2003)Google Scholar
- Le Botlan, D., Rémy, D.: Recasting MLF. Research Report 6228, INRIA, Rocquencourt, BP 105, 78 153 Le Chesnay Cedex, France (June 2007)Google Scholar
- Leijen, D.: A type directed translation of MLF to System F. In: The International Conference on Functional Programming (ICFP 2007). ACM Press, New York (2007)Google Scholar
- Leijen, D.: Flexible types: robust type inference for first-class polymorphism. In: Proceedings of the 36th annual ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages (POPL 2009), pp. 66–77. ACM, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- Jones, S.P.: Haskell 98 Language and Libraries: The Revised Report. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2003), ISBN: 0521826144Google Scholar
- Rémy, D., Yakobowski, B.: A church-style intermediate language for MLF (extended version) (September 2008a), http://gallium.inria.fr/~remy/mlf/xmlf.pdf
- Rémy, D., Yakobowski, B.: From ML to MLF: Graphic type constraints with efficient type inference. In: The 13th ACM SIGPLAN International Conference on Functional Programming (ICFP 2008), Victoria, BC, Canada, September 2008, pp. 63–74 (2008b)Google Scholar
- Yakobowski, B.: Graphical types and constraints: second-order polymorphism and inference. PhD thesis, University of Paris 7 (December 2008)Google Scholar