Effect of Spatial Locality on an Evolutionary Algorithm for Multimodal Optimization
To explore the effect of spatial locality, crowding differential evolution is incorporated with spatial locality for multimodal optimization. Instead of random trial vector generations, it takes advantages of spatial locality to generate fitter trial vectors. Experiments were conducted to compare the proposed algorithm (CrowdingDE-L) with the state-of-the-art algorithms. Further experiments were also conducted on a real world problem. The experimental results indicate that CrowdingDE-L has a competitive edge over the other algorithms tested.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bersini, H., Dorigo, M., Langerman, S., Seront, G., Gambardella, L.: Results of the first international contest on evolutionary optimisation (1st ICEO). In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation, Nagoya, Japan, May 1996, pp. 611–615 (1996)Google Scholar
- 3.De Jong, K.A.: An analysis of the behavior of a class of genetic adaptive systems. Ph.D. thesis, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (1975); University Microfilms No. 76-9381Google Scholar
- 8.Goldberg, D.E., Richardson, J.: Genetic algorithms with sharing for multimodal function optimization. In: Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Genetic Algorithms and their application, pp. 41–49. L. Erlbaum Associates Inc., Hillsdale (1987)Google Scholar
- 13.Qing, L., Gang, W., Qiuping, W.: Restricted evolution based multimodal function optimization in holographic grating design. In: The 2005 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, Edinburgh, Scotland, September 2005, vol. 1, pp. 789–794 (2005)Google Scholar
- 17.Storn, R., Price, K.: Differential evolution - a simple and efficient heuristic for global optimization over continuous spaces. Journal of Global Optimization 11(4), 341–359 (1997), http://www.springerlink.com/content/x555692233083677/ MATHCrossRefMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- 18.Thomsen, R.: Multimodal optimization using crowding-based differential evolution. In: Congress on Evolutionary Computation, CEC 2004, June 2004, vol. 2, pp. 1382–1389 (2004)Google Scholar