An Analysis of Delay Based PUF Implementations on FPGA
Physical Unclonable Functions promise cheap, efficient, and secure identification and authentication of devices. In FPGA devices, PUFs may be instantiated directly from FPGA fabric components in order to exploit the propagation delay differences of signals caused by manufacturing process variations. Multiple delay based PUF architectures have been proposed. However, we have observed inconsistent results among them. Ring Oscillator PUF works fine, while other delay based PUFs show a significantly lower quality. Rather than proposing complex system level solutions, we focus on the fundamental building blocks of the PUF. In our effort to compare the various delay based PUF architectures, we have closely examined how each architecture maps into the FPGA fabric. Our conclusions are that arbiter and butterfly PUF architectures are ill suited for FPGAs, because delay skew due to routing asymmetry is over 10 times higher than the random variation due to manufacturing process.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Guajardo, J., Kumar, S.S., Schrijen, G.-J., Tuyls, P.: FPGA intrinsic PUFs and their use for IP protection. In: Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Lim, D., Lee, J.W., Gassend, B., Suh, G.E., Van Dijk, M., Devadas, S.: Extracting secret keys from integrated circuits. IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Kumar, S.S., Guajardo, J., Maes, R., Schrijen, G.J., Tuyls, P.: The Butterfly PUF: Protecting IP on every FPGA. In: IEEE International Workshop on Hardware-Oriented Security and Trust, HOST (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Sedcole, P., Cheung, P.Y.K.: Within-die delay variability in 90nm FPGAs and beyond. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Field Programmable Technology (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Suh, G.E., Devadas, S.: Physical Unclonable Functions for Device Authentication and Secret Key Generation. In: Proceedings of Design Automation Conference (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Morozov, S., Maiti, A., Schaumont, P.: A Comparative Analysis of Delay Based PUF Implementations on FPGA. IACR ePrint tbd/2009 (submitted December 19, 2009)Google Scholar