Lightweight Modeling of Java Virtual Machine Security Constraints
The Java programming language has been widely described as secure by design. Nevertheless, a number of serious security vulnerabilities have been discovered in Java, particularly in the component known as the Bytecode Verifier. This paper describes a method for representing Java security constraints using the Alloy modeling language. It further describes a system for performing a security analysis on any block of Java bytecodes by converting the bytes into relation initializers in Alloy. Any counterexamples found by the Alloy analyzer correspond directly to insecure code. Analysis of a real world malicious applet is given to demonstrate the efficacy of the approach. This type of analysis represents a significant departure from standard malware detection methods based on signatures or anomaly detection.
KeywordsAlloy JVM lightweight modeling Java security
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alloy website, http://alloy.mit.edu
- 2.Jackson, D.: Software Abstractions: Logic, Language and Analysis. MIT Press, Cambridge (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.McGraw, G., Felten, E.: Securing Java: Getting Down to Business with Mobile Code, 2nd edn. Wiley, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures, http://cve.mitre.org
- 5.BlackBox Security Advisory, http://www.ca.com/us/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID=36725
- 6.Java and Java Virtual Machine security vulnerabilities and their exploitation techniques, http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-asia-02/LSD/bh-asia-02-lsd.pdf
- 7.Lindholm, T., Yellin, F.: The Java Virtual Machine Specification Second Edition. Addison Wesley, Boston (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Xu, H.: Java Security Model and Bytecode Verification, http://www.cis.umassd.edu/~hxu/Papers/UIC/JavaSecurity.PDF
- 9.Posegga, J., Vogt, H.: Java bytecode verification using model checking, http://eprints.kfupm.edu.sa/47269
- 11.Jakarta BCEL, http://jakarta.apache.org/bcel
- 12.DJ disassembler, http://members.fortunecity.com/neshkov/dj.html
- 13.Jasmin assembler, http://jasmin.sourceforge.net