Lane Detection on the iPhone
A robust and efficient lane detection system is an essential component of Lane Departure Warning Systems, which are commonly used in many vision-based Driver Assistance Systems (DAS) in intelligent transportation. Various computation platforms have been proposed in the past few years for the implementation of driver assistance systems (e.g., PC, laptop, integrated chips, PlayStation, and so on). In this paper, we propose a new platform for the implementation of lane detection, which is based on a mobile phone (the iPhone). Due to physical limitations of the iPhone w.r.t. memory and computing power, a simple and efficient lane detection algorithm using a Hough transform is developed and implemented on the iPhone, as existing algorithms developed based on the PC platform are not suitable for mobile phone devices (currently). Experiments of the lane detection algorithm are made both on PC and on iPhone.
KeywordsIntelligent transportation system driver assistance lane detection iPhone Hough transform
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.The .enpeda. project, http://www.mi.auckland.ac.nz/enpeda
- 4.iPhone: official website by Apple, http://www.apple.com/iphone/
- 5.Jiang, R., Klette, R., Wang, S., Vaudrey, T.: Lane detection and tracking using a new lane model and distance transform. Technical report, MItech-TR-39, The University of Auckland (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, Z.: Realtime lane tracking of curved local roads. In: Proc. IEEE Conf. Intelligent Transportation Systems, pp. 1149–1155 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.John, B.M.: Application of the Hough transform to lane detection and following on high speed roads. In: Proc. Irish Signals and Systems Conference (2001)Google Scholar