Augmenting a Ballet Dance Show Using the Dancer’s Emotion: Conducting Joint Research in Dance and Computer Science
We describe the joint research that we conduct in gesture-based emotion recognition and virtual augmentation of a stage, bridging together the fields of computer science and dance. After establishing a common ground for dialogue, we could conduct a research process that equally benefits both fields. As computer scientists, dance is a perfect application case. Dancer’s artistic creativity orient our research choices. As dancers, computer science provides new tools for creativity, and more importantly a new point of view that forces us to reconsider dance from its fundamentals. In this paper we hence describe our scientific work and its implications on dance. We provide an overview of our system to augment a ballet stage, taking a dancer’s emotion into account. To illustrate our work in both fields, we describe three events that mixed dance, emotion recognition and augmented reality.
KeywordsDance Augmented Reality Affective Computing Stage Augmentation Emotion Recognition Arts and Science Research
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Picard, R.: Affective Computing, Comput. Entertain. MIT Press, Cambridge (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Scherer, K., WP3 Members: Preliminary Plans for Exemplars: Theory, Version 1.0, In HUMAINE Deliverable D3c, 28/05/2004 (2004), http://emotion-research.net/deliverables/D3c.pdf
- 10.Birren, F.: Color psychology and color therapy. University Books Inc., New Hyde Park (1961)Google Scholar
- 11.Darwin, C.: The expression of the emotions in man and animals. The Portable Darwin (1872)Google Scholar
- 12.Clay, A., Couture, N., Nigay, L.: Towards Emotion Recognition in Interactive Systems: Application to a Ballet Dance Show. In: Proceedings of the World Conference on Innovative Virtual Reality (WinVR 2009) - World Conference on Innovative Virtual Reality (WinVR 2009), Chalon-sur-Saone, France (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Hodgson, J.: Mastering Movement: The Life and Work of Rudolf Laban. Paperback edition (2001)Google Scholar
- 16.Troika Ranch, http://www.troikaranch.org/
- 18.The Jew of Malta, http://www.joachimsauter.com/en/projects/vro.html
- 19.Milgram, P., Kishino, F.: A Taxonomy of Mixed Reality Visual Displays. IEICE Transactions on Information Systems E77-D(12), 1321–1329 (1994)Google Scholar
- 20.Ekman, P., Friesen, W.V.: Unmasking the face. A guide to recognizing emotions from facial clues. Prentice-Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs (1975)Google Scholar
- 21.The Ethiopiques show (2009), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGXzXmFwr68
- 22.The CARE Project, http://www.careproject.fr