The Planetary X-ray Emission
With the advent of Chandra and XMM-Newton X-ray observatories, several new solar system bodies have been discovered to be an X-ray source at energies below 2 keV: leading to significant advances in the field of planetary X-ray emission and astronomy during the last one decade. Apart from the Sun, the known X-ray emitters now include Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn, planetary satellites (Moon, Io, Europa, and Ganymede), all active comets, the Io plasma torus, the rings of Saturn, the exospheres of Earth, Venus and Mars, and the heliosphere. Progress in modeling X-ray emission and laboratory studies of X-ray production have also greatly contributed in enhancing our understanding of X-rays from the solar system bodies. This chapter provides an overview of the planetary X-rays, their production source processes and important characteristics.
KeywordsSolar Wind Solar System Planetary Atmosphere Galilean Satellite Solar System Body
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bhardwaj, A.: X-ray emission from Jupiter, Saturn, and Earth: a short review. In: Bhardwaj A., et al. (eds.) Advances in Geosciences, vol. 3, pp. 215–230. World Scientific, Singapore (2006)Google Scholar
- Bhardwaj, A., et al.: X-ray emission from planets and comets: relationship with solar x-rays and solar wind. In: Bhardwaj A., et al. (eds.) Advances in Geosciences, vol. 15, pp. 229–244. World Scientific, Singapore (2009)Google Scholar
- Dennerl, K., Lisse, C.M., Bhardwaj, A., Burwitz, V., Englhauser, J., Gunell, H., Holmström, M., Jansen, F., Kharchenko, V., Rodríguez-Pascual, P.M.: First observation of Mars with XMM-Newton: high resolution x-ray spectroscopy with RGS. Astron. Astrophys. 451, 709–722 (2006)CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- Dennerl, K.: X-rays from non-magnetic planets. In: Bhardwaj, A., et al. (eds.) Advances in Geosciences, vol. 15, pp. 53–74. World Scientific, Singapore (2009)Google Scholar
- Elsner, R.F., Gladstone, G.R., Waite, J.H. Jr, Crary, F.J., Howell, R.R., Johnson, R.E., Ford, P.G., Metzger, A.E., Hurley, K.C., Feigelson, E.D., Garmire, G.P., Bhardwaj, A., Grodent, D., Majeed, T., Tennant, A.F., Weisskopf, M.C.: Discovery of soft x-ray emission from Io, Europa, and the Io Plasma Torus. Astrophys. J. 572, 1077–1082 (2002)CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- Lisse, C.M., Cravens, T.E., Dennerl, K.: X-ray and extreme ultraviolet emission from comets. In: Festou, M.C., Keller, H.U., Weaver, H.A. (eds.) Comet II, pp. 631–643. University Arizona Press, Tucson (2004)Google Scholar