Stable Assignment with Couples: Parameterized Complexity and Local Search
We study the Hospitals/Residents with Couples problem, a variant of the classical Stable Marriage problem. This is the extension of the Hospitals/Residents problem where residents are allowed to form pairs and submit joint rankings over hospitals. We use the framework of parameterized complexity, considering the number of couples as a parameter. We also apply a local search approach, and examine the possibilities for giving FPT algorithms applicable in this context. Furthermore, we also investigate the matching problem containing couples that is the simplified version of the Hospitals/Residents problem modeling the case when no preferences are given.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Biró, P., McDermid, E.J.: Matching with couples is hard, but extra beds help (manuscript) (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Fellows, M.R., Fomin, F.V., Lokshtanov, D., Rosamond, F.A., Saurabh, S., Villanger, Y.: Local search: Is brute-force avoidable? In: IJCAI 2009 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Flum, J., Grohe, M.: Parameterized Complexity Theory. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Marx, D.: Local Search. Parameterized Complexity News 3, 7–8 (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.McDermid, E.J., Manlove, D.F.: Keeping partners together: Algorithmic results for the Hospitals/Residents problem with couples. To appear in J. of Comb. Opt.Google Scholar
- 18.Roth, A.E., Sotomayor, M.: Two Sided Matching: A Study in Game-Theoretic Modelling and Analysis. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1990)Google Scholar