Experiments on an Election Algorithm for Decision Element Failures in 4D Future Internet Architecture
A novel 4D architecture has been presented in ,  for the future Internet, advocating a decomposition of network control functions into three distinct planes: decision, dissemination, and discovery, along with a streamlined data plane, to achieve more predictable network performance. An underlying concern with the 4D architecture is that the decision making is centralized at a single entity called Decision Element (DE), whose failure may disrupt the whole network . A simple approach has been proposed to increase the reliability of the system by attaching a few hot stand-by DEs to the network. These hot stand-by DEs collect information from other network elements and perform computation in the same manner as the master DE. In this work, we have created a set of experiments to verify the performance of the election algorithm based on the prototype of the 4D architecture, and experimentally evaluate the re-convergence time required for the election algorithm after a failure of the master DE.
KeywordsFuture Internet 4D architecture Election algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Greenberg, A., Hjalmtysson, G., Maltz, D.A., Myers, A., Rexford, J., Xie, G., Yan, H., Zhan, J., Zhang, H.: A clean slate 4D approach to network control and management. ACM Computer Communication Review (October 2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Greenberg, A., Hjalmtysson, G., Maltz, D.A., Myers, A., Rexford, J., Xie, G., Yan, H., Zhan, J., Zhang, H.: Refactoring Network Control and Management: A Case for the 4D Architecture, CMU CS Technical Report CMU-CS-05-117 (September 2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Yan, H., Maltz, D.A., Ng, T.S.E., Gogineni, H., Zhang, H., Cai., Z.: Tesseract: A 4D Network Control Plane. In: Proc. of NSDI 2007 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.White, B., Lepreau, J., Stoller, L., Ricci, R., Guruprasad, S., Newbold, M., Hibler, M., Barb, C., Joglekar, A.: An integrated experimental environment for distributed systems and networks. In: Proc. Operating Systems Design and Implementation, December 2002, pp. 255–270 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Myers, A., Ng, E., Zhang, H.: Rethinking the service model: Scaling Ethernet to a million nodes. In: Proc. ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Hot Topics in Networking (November 2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Maltz, D., Xie, G., Zhan, J., Zhang, H., Hjalmtysson, G., Greenberg, A.: Routing design in operational networks: A look from the inside. In: Proc. ACM SIGCOMM (August 2004)Google Scholar