Subsidized Prediction Markets for Risk Averse Traders
In this paper we study the design and characterization of prediction markets in the presence of traders with unknown risk-aversion. We formulate a series of desirable properties for any “market-like” forecasting mechanism. We present a randomized mechanism that satisfies all these properties while guaranteeing that it is myopically optimal for each trader to trade honestly, regardless of her degree of risk aversion. We observe, however, that the mechanism has an undesirable side effect: the traders’ expected reward, normalized against the inherent value of their private information, decreases exponentially with the number of traders. We prove that this is unavoidable: any mechanism that is myopically strategyproof for traders of all risk types, while also satisfying other natural properties of “market-like” mechanisms, must sometimes result in a player getting an exponentially small normalized expected reward.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Chen, K.-Y., Fine, L.R., Huberman, B.A.: Forecasting uncertain events with small groups. In: Proceedings of the Third ACM Conference on Electronic Commerce (EC 2001), Tampa, Florida, pp. 58–64 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Chen, Y., Pennock, D.M.: A utility framework for bounded-loss market makers. In: Proceedings of the 23rd Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI 2007), pp. 49–56 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, Y., Dimitrov, S., Sami, R., Reeves, D., Pennock, D., Hanson, R., Fortnow, L., Gonen, R.: Gaming prediction markets: Equilibrium strategies with a market maker. AlgorithmicaGoogle Scholar
- 7.Dimitrov, S., Sami, R., Epelman, M.: Subsidized prediction markets for risk averse traders (2009) (manuscript), http://www.umich.edu/~rsami/papers/RiskAverseMarkets.pdf
- 10.Offerman, T., Sonnemans, J., van de Kuilen, G., Wakker., P.P.: A truth-serum for non-bayesians: Correcting proper scoring rules for risk attitudes. Working paper (June 2008), http://www1.fee.uva.nl/creed/pdffiles/propscr30jun08.pdf