Integrating Simulated Annealing and Delta Technique for Constructing Optimal Prediction Intervals
This paper aims at developing a new criterion for quantitative assessment of prediction intervals. The proposed criterion is developed based on both key measures related to quality of prediction intervals: length and coverage probability. This criterion is applied as a cost function for optimizing prediction intervals constructed using delta technique for neural network model. Optimization seeks out to minimize length of prediction intervals without compromising their coverage probability. Simulated Annealing method is employed for readjusting neural network parameters for minimization of the new cost function. To further ameliorate search efficiency of the optimization method, parameters of the network trained using weight decay method are considered as the initial set in Simulated Annealing algorithm. Implementation of the proposed method for a real world case study shows length and coverage probability of constructed prediction intervals are better than those constructed using traditional techniques.
Keywordsprediction interval neural network simulated annealing delta technique
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dybowski, R., Roberts, S.J.: Confidence intervals and prediction intervals for feed-forward neural networks. In: Clinical Applications of Artificial Neural Networks, Cambridge, MA (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Bishop, C.M.: Neural Networks for Pattern Recognition. Oxford University Press, Oxford (1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Yang, L., Kavli, T., Carlin, M., Clausen, S., de Groot, P.F.M.: An evaluation of confidence bound estimation methods for neural networks. In: Proceeding of ESIT (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Goffe, W.L., Ferrier, G.D., Rogers, J.: Global optimization of statistical functions with simulated annealing. Journal of Econometrics 60, 65–99Google Scholar
- 13.Aarts, E., Korst, J.: Simulated Annealing and Boltzmann Machine: A Stochastic Approach to Combinatorial Optimization and Neural Computing. J. Wiley, New York (1990)Google Scholar
- 14.Khosravi, A., Nahavandi, S., Creighton, D.: Estimating performance indexes of a baggage handling system using metamodels. In: IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology, ICIT 2009 (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Khosravi, A., Nahavandi, S., Creighton, D.: Constructing Prediction Intervals for Neural Network Metamodels of Complex Systems. In: International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, IJCNN 2009 (2009)Google Scholar