Strengthen Cloud Computing Security with Federal Identity Management Using Hierarchical Identity-Based Cryptography
More and more companies begin to provide different kinds of cloud computing services for Internet users at the same time these services also bring some security problems. Currently the majority of cloud computing systems provide digital identity for users to access their services, this will bring some inconvenience for a hybrid cloud that includes multiple private clouds and/or public clouds. Today most cloud computing system use asymmetric and traditional public key cryptography to provide data security and mutual authentication. Identity-based cryptography has some attraction characteristics that seem to fit well the requirements of cloud computing. In this paper, by adopting federated identity management together with hierarchical identity-based cryptography (HIBC), not only the key distribution but also the mutual authentication can be simplified in the cloud.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beak, J., Newmarch, J., Safavi-Naini, R., Susilo, W.: A Survey of Identity-Based Cryptography. In: Proc. of the 10th Annual Conference for Australian Unix User’s Group (AUUG 2004), pp. 95–102 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Boneh, D., Franklin, M.: Identity-based Encryption from the Weil Pairing. In: Kilian, J. (ed.) CRYPTO 2001. LNCS, vol. 2139, pp. 433–439. Springer, Heidelberg (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Chappell, D.: A Short Introduction to Cloud Platforms, http://www.davidchappell.com/CloudPlatforms–Chappell.pdf
- 4.Cocks, C.: An Identity-based Encryption Scheme Based on Quadratic Residues. In: Proceeding of 8th IMA International Conference on Cryptography and Coding (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Mao, W.: An Identity-based Non-interactive Authentication Framework for Computational Grids. HP Lab, Technical Report HPL-2004-96 (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Sakai, R., Ohgishi, K., Kasahara, M.: Cryptosystems based on pairing. In: Proceedings of the 2000 Symposium on Cryptography and Information Security, Okinawa, Japan (January 2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Lim, H.W., Robshaw, M.J.B.: On identity-based cryptography and GRID computing. In: Bubak, M., van Albada, G.D., Sloot, P.M.A., Dongarra, J. (eds.) ICCS 2004. LNCS, vol. 3036, pp. 474–477. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Lim, H.W., Paterson, K.G.: Identity-Based Cryptography for Grid Security. In: Proceedings of the 1st IEEE International Conference on e-Science and Grid Computing (e-Science 2005). IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Defining Cloud Services and Cloud Computing, http://blogs.idc.com/ie/?p=190
- 14.IBM Embraces Juniper For Its Smart Hybrid Cloud, Disses Cisco (IBM), http://www.businessinsider.com/2009/2/ibm-embraces-juniper-for-its-smart-hybrid-cloud-disses-cisco-ibm
- 16.XML Signature Syntax and Processing (Second Edition) , http://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-core/#sec-KeyInfo