Results of the Seventh International Comparison of Absolute Gravimeters ICAG-2005 at the Bureau International des Poids et Mesures, Sèvres
The International Comparison of Absolute Gravimeters ICAG-2005 was held at the Bureau International des Poids et Mesures (BIPM), Sèvres, France in September 2005. The organization of ICAG-2005, measurement strategy, calculation and presentation of the results were described in a technical protocol pre-developed to the comparison. Nineteen absolute gravimeters carried out 96 series of measurements of free-fall acceleration g at the sites of the BIPM gravity network. The vertical gravity gradients were measured by relative gravimeters. For the first time the budgets of uncertainties were presented.
The g-values for the sites A and B of the BIPM gravity network at a height of 0.90 m are (980,925,702.2 ± 0.7) μGal and (980,928,018.5 ± 0.7) μGal, respectively. This result is in a good agreement with that obtained in ICAG-2001.
KeywordsGravimetry Absolute gravimetry International comparison
The authors wish to thank Dr R. Davis for many useful discussions and all staff members of BIPM for their invaluable support.
- Boulanger, Yu., et al. (1981). Results of comparison of absolute gravimeters, Sèvres, 1981. Bull. Inf. BGI, 52, 99–124.Google Scholar
- Francis, O., et al. (2007). Results of European comparison of absolute gravimeters in Walferdange (Luxembourg) in November 2007, ibidem.Google Scholar
- Guide to expression of uncertainty in measurement, ISO, 1993.Google Scholar
- International Vocabulary of Basic and General Terms in Metrology (VIM), ISO, 1993.Google Scholar
- Mutual recognition of national measurement standards and of calibration and measurement certificates issued by national metrology institutes, CIPM, 1999, available from http://www.bipm.org
- Vitushkin, L. (2008). Measurement standards in gravimetry, Proceedings of the International Symposium “Terrestrial Gravimetry. Static and Mobile Measurements. TGSMM-2007”, 20–23 August 2007, St Petersburg, Russia, SRC of Russia Electropribor, pp. 98–105.Google Scholar
- Vitushkin, L., et al. (2007). The seventh international comparison of absolute gravimeters ICAG-2005 at the BIPM. Organization and preliminary results, Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium of the International Gravity Field Service “Gravity Field of the Earth”, 28 August-1 September, 2006, Istanbul, Turkey, Ed. General Command of Mapping, June 2007. Special Issue:18, pp. 382–387.Google Scholar