Modelling of Camera Phone Capture Channel for JPEG Colour Barcode Images
As camera phones have permeated into our everyday lives, two dimensional (2D) barcode has attracted researchers and developers as a cost-effective ubiquitous computing tool. A variety of 2D barcodes and their applications have been developed. Often, only monochrome 2D barcodes are used due to their robustness in an uncontrolled operating environment of camera phones. However, we are seeing an emerging use of colour 2D barcodes for camera phones. Nonetheless, using a greater multitude of colours introduces errors that can negatively affect the robustness of barcode reading. This is especially true when developing a 2D barcode for camera phones which capture and store these barcode images in the baseline JPEG format. This paper present one aspect of the errors introduced by such camera phones by modelling the camera phone capture channel for JPEG colour barcode images.
KeywordsImage-based modelling Image processing & understanding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pennebaker, W., Micthell, J.: JPEG Still Image Data Compression Standard. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York (1992)Google Scholar
- 2.Private correspondance with inventor of mCodeGoogle Scholar
- 3.Han, T.D., Cheong, C.H., Lee, N.K., Shin, E.D.: Machine readable code image and method of encoding and decoding the same. United States Patent, 7, 020, 327 (March 2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Gavin, J.: System and method for encoding high density geometric symbol set. United States Patent Application, 20, 050, 285, 761 (December 2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Kato, H., Tan, K.T., Chai, D.: MMCCTM: Color 2D Bar code for True Ubiquitous Computing. Submitted to IEEE Transaction on Mobile ComputingGoogle Scholar
- 6.Tan, K.T., Chai, D.: Improving Mobile 2D-Barcode Images Compression Using DCT Coefficient Distributions. Submitted to Journal of Electronic ImagingGoogle Scholar