A Comparative Analysis for Detecting Seismic Anomalies in Data Sequences of Outgoing Longwave Radiation
In this paper we propose to use wavelet transformations as a data mining tool to detect seismic anomalies within data sequences of outgoing longwave radiation (OLR). The distinguishing feature of our method is that we calculate the wavelet maxima curves that propagate from coarser to finer scales in the defined grids over time and then identify strong singularities from the maxima lines distributing on the grids by only accounting for the characteristics of continuity in both time and space. The identified singularities are further examined by the Holder exponent to determine whether the identified singularities can be regarded as potential precursors prior to earthquakes. This method has been applied to analyze OLR data associated with an earthquake recently occurred in Wenchuan of China. Combining with the tectonic explanation of spatial and temporal continuity of the abnormal phenomena, the analyzing results reveal that the identified singularities could be viewed as the seismic anomalies prior to the Wuchan earthquake.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Carreno, E., Capote, R., Yague, A., et al.: Observations of thermal anomaly associated to seismic activity from remote sensing. In: General Assembly of European Seismology Commission, Portugal, September 10-15, pp. 265–269 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Cervone, G., Singh, R.P., Kafatos, M., Yu, C.: Wavelet maxima curves of surface latent heat flux anomalies associated with Indian earthquakes. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci. 5, 87–99 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Pulinets, S.A., Boyarchuk, K.A.: Ionospheric Precursors of Earthquakes, p. 316. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Hayakawa, M., Molchanov, O.A.: Seismo Electromagnetics: Lithosphere-Atmosphere-Ionosphere Coupling, TERRAPUB, Tokyo, p. 477 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Tronin, A.A.: Satellite thermal survey application for earthquake prediction. In: Hayakawa, M. (ed.) Atmospheric and Ionospheric Phenomena Associated with Earthquakes. TERRAPUB, Tokyo, pp. 717–746 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Paul, S.: Addison Illustrated Wavelet Transform Handbook, Introductory Theory And Applications in Science, Engineering, Medicine And Finance. Institute of Physics Publishing (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.NCAR and NOAA: ftp ftp.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov; cd precip/noaa* for OLR directories (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Liebmann, B., Smith, C.A.: Description of a Complete (Interpolated) Outgoing Longwave Radiation Dataset. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77, 1275–1277 (1996)Google Scholar