A Novel Macro-Block Group Based AVS Coding Scheme for Many-Core Processor
The slice-level parallelism is popular in parallel video coding. However, the quality loses greatly because the dependency between macro-blocks is broken, especially on many-core platforms. To address this problem, a novel Macro-Block Group (MBG) decomposition scheme is presented for parallel AVS coding. In the proposed scheme, video frames are equally divided into rectangular MBG regions, each consists of more rows and less columns than the slice-level scheme. Since MBG is not supported by AVS, a vertical partitioning scheme is introduced, and the mode confining and MVD adjusting techniques are utilized to keep consistency with the standard. In practice, our parallel encoder is developed on the TILE64 platform, where P/B frames use the MBG-level parallelism and I frames use the macro-block-level parallelism. Experiments show that the proposed scheme can achieve a reduction of 52% (IPPP) and 41% (IBBP) in quality loss while keeping the same speed-up compared with the slice-level parallelism.
KeywordsParallel video encoding macro-block group many-core processor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Information technology - Advanced coding of audio and video - Part 2:Video, GB/T20090.2 (2006) Google Scholar
- 3.Chen, Y.K., Li, E.Q., Zhou, X.S., Ge, S.: Implementation of H.264 encoder and decoder on personal computers. J. Vis. Commun. Image R. 17(2006), 509–532 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Barbosa, D.M., Kitajima, J.P., Meira Jr., W.: Real-time MPEG encoding in shared-memory multiprocessors. In: Int. Conf. Parallel Comput. Syst. (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Shen, K., Delp, E.J.: A parallel implementation of an mpeg1 encoder: Faster than real-time. In: Proceedings of the SPIE. Digital Video Compression: Algorithms and Techniques, vol. 2419 (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhao, Z., Liang, P.: Data partition for wavefront parallelization of H.264 video encoder. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 2006. ISCAS 2006, Page(s):4 pp. – 2672 (2006) Google Scholar
- 10.Rodriguez, A., Gonzalez, A., Malumbres, M.P.: Hierarchical Parallelization of an H.264/AVC Video Encoder. In: International Symposium on Parallel Computing in Electrical Engineering, 2006. PAR ELEC 2006, September 13-17, pp. 363–368 (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Tilera Corporation: ProductBrief_TILEPro64_Web_v2, http://www.tilera.com/
- 13.Audio Video coding Standard Workgroup of China, http://www.avs.org.cn