Pattern Prediction in Stock Market
In this paper, we have presented a new approach to predict pattern of the financial time series in stock market for next 10 days and compared it with the existing method of exact value prediction [2, 3, and 4]. The proposed pattern prediction technique performs better than value prediction. It has been shown that the average for pattern prediction is 58.7% while that for value prediction is 51.3%. Similarly, maximum for pattern and value prediction are 100% and 88.9% respectively. It is of more practical significance if one can predict an approximate pattern that can be expected in the financial time series in the near future rather than the exact value. This way one can know the periods when the stock will be at a high or at a low and use the information to buy or sell accordingly. We have used Support Vector Machine based prediction system as a basis for predicting pattern. MATLAB has been used for implementation.
KeywordsSupport Vector Machine Pattern Trend Stock Prediction Finance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Ince, H., Trafalis, T.B.: Kernel Principal Component Analysis and Support Vector Machines for Stock Price Prediction. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, vol. 3, pp. 2053–2058 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Chen, W.H., Sheh, J.Y., Wu, S.: Comparison of Support Vector Machines and Back Propagation Neural Networks in forecasting the six major Asian Stock Markets. Int. J. Electronic Finance 1(1), 49–67 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Singhal, N.: Stock Price Prediction for Indian Market, Master, Thesis. Department of Computer Science and Engineering. Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, India (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.National Stock Exchange of India Ltd., Data Products NCFMOnline ReportCBT, http://www.nseindia.com
- 10.LS-SVM, package. Home Toolbox Book People Publications Faq Links, www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/sista/lssvmlab