Microbial Binding as a Probable Cause of Taphonomic Variability of Vendian Fossils: Carbonate Casting?
The exceptional preservation of Ediacaran organisms is problematic, and the cause of the unique conservation is difficult to prove for fossil material because of restrictions imposed by the incomplete palaeontological record. Observation of the various preservation forms is particularly important and provides the basis for further reconstructions of organisms and the Precambrian community structure.
KeywordsRadial Structure Attachment Disk Radial Element Exceptional Preservation Taphonomic Study
This work was supported in part by the Russian Foundation of Basic Research, projects nos. 08-05-00801, 08-05-90211, the Scientific School of Academicians B.S. Sokolov and M.A. Fedonkin, project no. NSH-4156.2008.5 and the Program N 18 of the Presidium of RAS. I am grateful to Academician M.A. Fedonkin and Dr. A.Yu. Ivantsov for the access to the collections and useful comments, to Dr. A.G. Ponomarenko for polite discussion, to A.V. Mazin (PIN RAS) and Yu.V. Shuvalova for the photographic works, to L.V. Zaytseva and E.A. Zhegallo (PIN RAS) for the fine-structural investigation, to N.I. Krasnova for improving the language of the manuscript and to the anonymous reviewer for critical reading and very constructive review.
- Gehling JG, Rigby JK (1996) Long expected sponges from the Neoproterozoic Ediacara fauna of South Australia. Journal of Paleontology 70 (2): 185–195Google Scholar
- Glaessner MF (1984) The dawn of animal life: A biohistorical study. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 224 ppGoogle Scholar
- Harris TM (1932) The fossil flora of Scoresby Sound, East Greenland. Description of seed plants incertae sedis, together with a discussion of certain cycadophyte cuticles. Medd om Grønland 85 (5): 1–133Google Scholar
- Kremer B, Kazmierczak J, Stal LJ (2008) Calcium carbonate precipitation in cyanobacterial mats from sandy tidal flats of the North Sea. Geobiology 6: 46–56Google Scholar
- Krishtophovich AN (1957) Palaeobotany. Gostoptekhizdat, Leningrad, 650 pp, (in Russian)Google Scholar
- Lasaga腺AC (1983) Kinetics of silicate dissolution. Fourth international symposium on water-rock interaction. Misasa, Japan, pp腺269–274Google Scholar
- Meyen SV (1966) [Cordaites from the Upper Palaeozoic of northern Eurasia (Morphology, epidermal structure, taxonomy and stratigraphic significance)]. Nauka, Moscow, 184 pp, (in Russian)Google Scholar
- Serezhnikova EA (2005) [New interpretation of Hiemalora imprints from the Vendian of the Olenek Uplift, northeast Siberian Platform]. Bulletin MOIP. Otdel Geologicheskii 80 (3): 26–32Google Scholar
- Sprigg RC (1947) Early Cambrian? jellyfishes from the Flinders Ranges, South Australia. Transactions of the Royal Society of South Australia 71: 221–224Google Scholar
- Vodanjuk SA (1989) [Remains of non-skeletal Metazoa from Khatyspyt formation on the Olenek Uplift]. Pozdnii dokembry and rannii paleozoi Sibiri. Actualnii voprosi stratigrafii: 61–75 [in Russian]Google Scholar