Classifier Fusion Applied to Facial Expression Recognition: An Experimental Comparison
In this paper classifier fusion approaches are investigated through numerical evaluation. For this purpose a multi classifier architecture for the recognition of human facial expressions in image sequences has been constructed on characteristic facial regions and three different feature types (principal components, orientation histograms of static images and temporal features based on optical flow). Classifier fusion is applied to the individual channels established by feature principle and facial region, which are addressed to by individual classifiers. The available combinations of classifier outputs are examined and it is investigated how combining classifiers can lead to more appropriate results. The stability of fusion regarding varying classifier combinations is studied and the fused classifier output is compared to the human view on the data.
KeywordsFacial Expression Recognition Rate Confusion Matrix Gesture Recognition Fusion Rule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Freeman, W.T., Roth, M.: Orientation Histograms for Hand Gesture Recognition. In: International Workshop on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, pp. 296–301 (1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Kanade, T., Cohn, J., Tian, Y.L.: Comprehensive database for facial expression analysis. In: Proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition (FG 2000), pp. 46–53 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Lang, P.J.: The emotion probe. studies of motivation and attention. The American Psychologist 50, 372–385 (1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Poggio, T., Girosi, F.: A theory of networks for approximation and learning. Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology 1140 (1989)Google Scholar
- 11.Riedmiller, M., Braun, H.: RPROP – description and implementation details. Technical report, Universität Karlsruhe (1994)Google Scholar
- 14.Schölkopf, B., Smola, A.J.: Learning with Kernels: Support Vector Machines, Regularization, Optimization, and Beyond (Adaptive Computation and Machine Learning). The MIT Press, Cambridge (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Schwenker, F., Dietrich, C., Thiel, C., Palm, G.: Learning of decision fusion mappings for pattern recognition. International Journal on Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AIML) 6, 17–21 (2006)Google Scholar
- 17.Thiel, C., Giacco, F., Schwenker, F., Palm, G.: Comparison of Neural Classification Algorithms Applied to Land Cover Mapping. In: Proceedings of the 18th Italian Workshop on Neural Networks, WIRN 2008. IOS Press, Amsterdam (2008)Google Scholar