“Language Is the Skin of My Thought”: Integrating Wikipedia and AI to Support a Guillotine Player
This paper describes OTTHO (On the Tip of my THOught), a system designed for solving a language game, called Guillotine, which demands knowledge covering a broad range of topics, such as movies, politics, literature, history, proverbs, and popular culture. The rule of the game is simple: the player observes five words, generally unrelated to each other, and in one minute she has to provide a sixth word, semantically connected to the others. The system exploits several knowledge sources, such as a dictionary, a set of proverbs, and Wikipedia to realize a knowledge infusion process. The paper describes the process of modeling these sources and the reasoning mechanism to find the solution of the game. The main motivation for designing an artificial player for Guillotine is the challenge of providing the machine with the cultural and linguistic background knowledge which makes it similar to a human being, with the ability of interpreting natural language documents and reasoning on their content. Experiments carried out showed promising results. Our feeling is that the presented approach has a great potential for other more practical applications besides solving a language game.
KeywordsSource Node Candidate Solution Knowledge Source Reasoning Mechanism Language Game
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Broder, A.Z.: On the Resemblance and Containment of Documents. In: Proc.of Compression and Complexity of Sequences, pp. 21–29. IEEE Comp.Society, Los Alamitos (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Lam, S.K., Pennock, D.M., Cosley, D., Lawrence, S.: 1 Billion Pages = 1 Million Dollars? Mining the Web to Play Who Wants to be a Millionaire. In: Proc. of the 2003 Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence, pp. 337–345 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Sahlgren, M.: The Word-Space Model: Using distributional analysis to represent syntagmatic and paradigmatic relations between words in high-dimensional vector spaces. PhD thesis, Stockholm University, Department of Linguistics (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Semeraro, G., Lops, P., Basile, P., de Gemmis, M.: On the Tip of my Thought: Playing the Guillotine Game. In: IJCAI 2009, Proceedings of the 21st International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 1543–1548. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Widdows, D., Ferraro, K.: Semantic Vectors: A Scalable Open Source Package and Online Technology Management Application. In: Proc. of the 6th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, LREC 2008 (2008)Google Scholar