The Challenges of Seeking Security While Respecting Privacy
Security is a concern for persons, organizations, and nations. For the individual members of organizations and nations, personal privacy is also a concern. The technologies for monitoring electronic communication are at the same time tools to protect security and threats to personal privacy. Participants in this workshop address the interrelation of personal privacy and national or societal security, from social, technical and legal perspectives. The participants represented industry, the academy and the United States Government. The issues addressed have become, if anything, even more pressing today than they were when the conference was held.
Keywordspersonal privacy national security computer security intelligence agencies
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Franklin, B.: Poor Richard’s Almanack. Peter Pauper Press, White Plains (1980)Google Scholar
- 2.Kahn, D.: The Codebreakers: The Comprehensive History of Secret Communication from Ancient Times to the Internet. Scribner, New York (1996)Google Scholar
- 3.ACLU “Pizza”, http://web.archive.org/web/20080306060321/http://www.aclu.org/pizza/ (accessed April 22, 2009)
- 4.Ostrovsky, R., Skeith, W.E.: Private Searching on Streaming Data Journal of Cryptology 20(4) (2007), http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~rafail/PUBLIC/Ostrovsky-Skeith.html (accessed March 11, 2009)
- 5.Korecki, N., McKinney, D.: More holes in Burris’ story, February 18. Chicago Sun-Times (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Moran, M.: Search is getting personal, Revenue Today, p. 28 (January/February 2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Galloway, G.: Fraudsters abusing do-not-call list. Toronto Globe and Mail (January 23, 2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Sher, A.: GOP spokesman wants database of all Tennessee handgun carry permit holders, April 3. Chattanooga Times Free Press (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Liptak, A.: Competing for clients, and paying by the click, October 15. The New York Times (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Womble Trade Secrets: (2009), http://wombletradesecrets.blogspot.com
- 14.Danezis, G., Lewis, S., Anderson, R.: How Much Is Location Privacy Worth? In: 4th Workshop on the Economics of Information Security (2005), http://infosecon.net/workshop/pdf/location-privacy.pdf
- 15.Edmons, A., White, R., Morris, D., Drucker, S.: Instrumenting the Dynamic Web. J. of Web Engineering 6, 244–260 (2007)Google Scholar