Irreversible Electroporation: First Patient Experience Focal Therapy of Prostate Cancer
Irreversible electroporation (IRE) is a new non-thermal ablation modality that uses short pulses of DC electric current to create irreversible pores in the cell membrane thus causing cell death. This method has been shown by Rubinsky et al. to have significant advantages in ablating prostatic tissue, such as rapid lesion creation, rapid lesion resolution, sparing of structures such as vessels, nerves and urethra, and uniform destruction throughout the IRE lesion (1). The underlying principles are well covered in other chapters in this book. This discussion will deal with the first human applications of IRE and whether its theoretical promises of improved clinical outcomes, have been delivered. For a number of reasons, including the ability to carry out extensive post operative biopsies to confirm the adequate ablation of cancer, the first human experience was carried out in the prostate.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rubinsky, B., Onik, G., Mikus, P.: Irreversible electroporation: a new ablation modality–clinical implications. Technol. Cancer Res. Treat. 6(1), 37–48 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Bostwick, D.G., Waters, D.J., Farley, E.R., Meiers, I., Rukstalis, D., Cavanaugh, W.A., Ragde, H., Dineen, M.K., Bahn, D., Scionti, S., Babian, R., Ellis, D.S., Rewcastle, J.C., Burke, H.B., Andriole, G.L., Onik, G., Barqawi, A.E., Maksem, J., Barzell, W.E.: Group consensus reports from the Consensus Conference on Focal Treatment of Prostatic Carcinoma, Celebration, Florida (February 24, 2006); Urology 70(suppl. 6), 42–44 (December 2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Santiago, R.J., Wu, L., Harris, E., Fox, K., Schultz, D., Glick, J., Solin, L.J.: Fifteen-year results of breast-conserving surgery and definitive irradiation for Stage I and II breast carcinoma: the University of Pennsylvania experience. Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 58(1), 233–240 (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Djvan, B., Susani, M., Bursa, B., et al.: Predictability and significance of multifocal prostate cancer in the radical prostatectomy specimen. Techniques in Urology 5(3), 139–142 (1999)Google Scholar
- 15.Gary Onik, M.D., Winston Barzell, M.D.: Transperineal 3D Mapping Biopsy of the Prostate: An Essential Tool in Selecting Patients for Focal Prostate Cancer Therapy. Urologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations (in Press)Google Scholar
- 17.Health Care Financing Administration. Medicare Coverage Policy: Decisions. Bagley GP. Cryosurgery ablation of the prostate (#CAG-00031), http://www.hcfa.gov/coverage/8b3-f1.htm (accessed November 7, 2001)
- 18.Donnelly, B.J., Saliken, J.C., Brasher, P., et al.: Randomized controlled trial comparing external beam radiation and cryoablation in localized prostate cancer. In: Proceedings of the American Urological Association of 2007 (2007), Abstract #1141Google Scholar
- 19.Eggener, S.E., Scardino, P.T., Carroll, P.R., Zelefsky, M.J., Sartor, O., Hricak, H., Wheeler, T.M., Fine, S.W., Trachtenberg, J., Rubin, M.A., Ohori, M., Kuroiwa, K., Rossignol, M., Abenhaim, L.: International Task Force on Prostate Cancer and the Focal Lesion Paradigm. Focal therapy for localized prostate cancer: a critical appraisal of rationale and modalities. J. Urol. 178(6), 2260–2267 (2007) (Epub October 15, 2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Neumann, E., Schaefer-Ridder, M., Wang, Y., Hofschneider, P.H., et al.: Gene transfer into mouse lyoma cells by electroporation in high electric fields. J. EMBO 1, 841–845 (1982)Google Scholar
- 23.Mir, L.M., Belehradek, M., Domenge, C., Luboniski, B., Orlowski, S., Belehradek, J., Schwaab, B., Luboniski, B., Paoletti, C.: Electrochemotherapy, a novel antitumor treatment: first clinical trial. C. R. Acad. Sci. Ser. III 313, 613–618 (1991)Google Scholar
- 25.Onik, G., Mikus, P., Rubinsky, B.: Irreversible electroporation: implications for prostate ablation. Technol. Cancer Res. Treat. 6(4), 295–300 (2007)Google Scholar
- 26.Miller, L., Leor, J., Rubinsky, B.: Cancer cells ablation with irreversible electroporation. Technology in Cancer Research and Treatment 4(6), 1–6 (2005)Google Scholar
- 27.Ellis, D., Jones, J., Pisters, L., et al.: Subtotal/Partial gland prostate cryoablation: Results of 341 patients from multiple centers tracked with the cold registry. Presented AUA 2008, Orlando FL (2008), Abstract Number:08-AB-95484-AUAGoogle Scholar