Adaptive User Profiles in Pervasive Advertising Environments
Nowadays modern advertising environments try to provide more efficient ads by targeting costumers based on their interests. Various approaches exist today as to how information about the users’ interests can be gathered. Users can deliberately and explicitly provide this information or user’s shopping behaviors can be analyzed implicitly. We implemented an advertising platform to simulate an advertising environment and present adaptive profiles, which let users setup profiles based on a self-assessment, and enhance those profiles with information about their real shopping behavior as well as about their activity intensity. Additionally, we explain how pervasive technologies such as Bluetooth can be used to create a profile anonymously and unobtrusively.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bosworth, M.H.: Loyalty Cards: Reward or Threat? ConsumerAffairs.com (April 3, 2005) (2009), http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/loyalty_cards.html
- 3.Kern, D., Harding, M., Storz, O., Davis, N., Schmidt, A.: Shaping how advertisers see me: user views on implicit and explicit profile capture. In: CHI 2008 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 3363–3368. ACM, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Karam, M., Payne, T., David, E.: Evaluating BluScreen: Usability for Intelligent Pervasive Displays. In: Proceedings of ICPCA (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Marsland, L.: How much advertisement actually works? SAMRA Convention, bizcommunity.com, April 15 (2006), http://www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/119/9593.html
- 6.Ranganathan, A., Campbell, R.H.: Advertising in a pervasive computing environment. In: Proceedings of WMC 2002, New York, USA, pp. 10–14 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Sharifi, M., Payne, T., David, E.: Public Display Advertising Based on Bluetooth Device Presence. In: Mobile Interaction with the Real World, MIRW 2006 (September 2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Spethmann, B.: Shoppers Like Grocery Loyalty Cards Despite Privacy Worries. Promo Magazine (2005), http://promomagazine.com/incentives/shoppers_loyalty_cards_020205/
- 9.Stabeler, M., Shannon, R., Quigley, A.: Profiling and targeting opportunities in pervasive advertising. In: Pervasive 2009 workshop on Pervasive Advertising, Nara, Japan (2009)Google Scholar