Adapting SAWSDL for Semantic Annotations of RESTful Services
RESTful services are increasingly been adopted as a suitable lightweight solution for creating service-based applications on the Web. However, most often these services lack any machine-processable description and therefore a significant human labour has to be devoted to locating existing services, understanding their documentation, and implementing software that uses them. In order to increase the automation of these tasks, we present an integrated lightweight approach for the creation of semantic RESTful service descriptions. Our work is based on hRESTS, a microformat for including machine-readable descriptions of RESTful service within existing HTML service documentation. We complement hRESTS by the MicroWSMO microformat, which uses SAWSDL-like hooks to add semantic annotations. Finally, we present SWEET–Semantic Web sErvices Editing Tool–which effectively supports users in creating semantic descriptions of RESTful services based on the aforementioned technologies.
KeywordsShort Message Service Service Description Semantic Annotation Semantic Description RESTful Service
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Richardson, L., Ruby, S.: RESTful Web Services. O’Reilly Media, Sebastopol (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Fielding, R.T.: Architectural styles and the design of network-based software architectures. PhD thesis, University of California (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Kopecký, J., Gomadam, K., Vitvar, T.: hRESTS: an HTML Microformat for Describing RESTful Web Services. In: Proceedings of the 2008 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence, WI 2008 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Khare, R., Celik, T.: Microformats: a pragmatic path to the semantic web (Poster). In: Proceedings of the 15th international conference on World Wide Web (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Kopecký, J., Vitvar, T., Fensel, D., Gomadam, K.: hRESTS & MicroWSMO. Technical report (2009), http://cms-wg.sti2.org/TR/d12/
- 8.Web Services Description Language (WSDL) Version 2.0. Recommendation, W3C (June 2007), http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl20/
- 9.Hadley, M.J.: Web Application Description Language (WADL). Technical report, Sun Microsystems (November 2006), https://wadl.dev.java.net
- 10.Watson - The Semantic Web Gateway: Ontology Editor Plugins (November 2008), http://watson.kmi.open.ac.uk
- 11.RDFa in XHTML: Syntax and Processing. Proposed Recommendation, W3C (September 2008), http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-syntax/
- 12.Clarke, F., Ekeland, I.: Gleaning Resource Descriptions from Dialects of Languages. Recommendation, W3C (September 2007), http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/
- 13.Heß, A., Johnston, E., Kushmerick, N.: ASSAM: A tool for semi-automatically annotating semantic web services. In: McIlraith, S.A., Plexousakis, D., van Harmelen, F. (eds.) ISWC 2004. LNCS, vol. 3298, pp. 320–334. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar