Uncovering Overlap Community Structure in Complex Networks Using Particle Competition
Identification and classification of overlap nodes in communities is an important topic in data mining. In this paper, a new clustering method to uncover overlap nodes in complex networks is proposed. It is based on particles walking and competing with each other, using random-deterministic movement. The new community detection algorithm can output not only hard labels, but also continuous-valued output (soft labels), which corresponds to the levels of membership from the nodes to each of the communities. Computer simulations were performed with synthetic and real data and good results were achieved.
Keywordscomplex networks community detection overlap community structure particle competition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Han, J., Kamber, M.: Data Mining: Concepts and Techniques, 2nd edn. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Hand, D.J., Mannila, H., Smyth, P.: Principles of Data Mining. MIT Press, Cambridge (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Tan, P.N., Steinbach, M., Kumar, V.: Introduction to Data Mining. Pearson/Addison Wesley (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Bornholdt, S., Schuster, H.: Handbook of Graphs and Networks: From the Genome to the Internet. Wiley-VCH (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Newman, M.E.J., Girvan, M.: Finding and evaluating community structure in networks. Physical Review E 69, 026113 (1–15) (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Duch, J., Arenas, A.: Community detection in complex networks using extremal optimization. Physical Review E 72, 027104 (1–4) (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Reichardt, J., Bornholdt, S.: Detecting fuzzy community structures in complex networks with a potts model. Physical Review Letters 93, 218701 (1–4) (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Danon, L., Díaz-Guilera, A., Duch, J., Arenas, A.: Comparing community structure identification. Journal of Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Experiment 9, P09008 (1–10) (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Quiles, M.G., Zhao, L., Alonso, R.L., Romero, R.A.F.: Particle competition for complex network community detection. Chaos 18, 033107 (1–10) (2008)Google Scholar
- 17.Zhang, S., Wang, R.S., Zhang, X.S.: Uncovering fuzzy community structure in complex networks. Physical Review E 76, 046103 (1–7) (2007)Google Scholar
- 18.Zachary, W.W.: An information flow model for conflict and fission in small groups. Journal of Anthropological Research 33, 452–473 (1977)Google Scholar