Industrial Practice in Formal Methods: A Review
We examine the the industrial application of formal methods using data gathered in a review of 62 projects taking place over the last 25 years. The review suggests that formal methods are being applied in a wide range of application domains, with increasingly strong tool support. Significant challenges remain in providing usable tools that can be integrated into established development processes; in education and training; in taking formal methods from first use to second use, and in gathering and evidence to support informed selection of methods and tools.
KeywordsModel Check Formal Method Industrial Practice Formal Technique Test Case Generation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Austin, S., Parkin, G.: Formal methods: A survey. Technical report, National Physical Laboratory, Teddington, Middlesex, UK (March 1993)Google Scholar
- 2.Craigen, D., Gerhart, S., Ralston, T.: An International Survey of Industrial Applications of Formal Methods, vol. 2. U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology, Computer Systems Laboratory (March 1993)Google Scholar
- 4.Bloomfield, R., Craigen, D.: Formal methods diffusion: Past lessons and future prospects. Technical Report D/167/6101, Adelard, London, UK (December 1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Hinchey, M.G., Bowen, J.P.: To formalize or not to formalize? IEEE Computer 29(4), 18–19 (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.VSR: Verified Software Repository (2009), http://vsr.sourceforge.net/fmsurvey.htm
- 8.Woodcock, J., Larsen, P.G., Bicarregui, J., Fitzgerald, J.: Formal Methods: Practice and Experience. ACM Computing Surveys (in press, 2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Miller, S.P.: The industrial use of formal methods: Was Darwin right? In: 2nd IEEE Workshop on Industrial Strength Formal Specification Techniques, Boca Raton, FL, pp. 74–82. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (1998)Google Scholar