Visual Language Framework for Plant Modeling Using L-System
The L-system algorithm can be very useful in modeling realistic plants for virtual environment modeling and also in graphics applications besides as a tool for biological plant simulation. However, there are hardly any L-system applications which cater for people who do not have prior knowledge in L-systems nor programming skills. This paper describes how we design and develop a visual language framework for L-system plant modeling to cater to this group of people as well as experts in L-system modeling. The purpose of this research is to design a visual language framework for L-system and to study the usefulness and effectiveness of visual language in L-system plant modeling. The visual language framework covers the L-system attributes and grammar in the form of icon-based visual language.
KeywordsVisual programming Language L-systems Plant Modeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Shu, N.C.: Visual Programming. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Chichester (1992)Google Scholar
- 2.Boshernitsan, M., Downes, M.: Visual Programming Language: A Survey (2004), http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~maratb/cs263/paper.pdf (accessed December 15, 2008)
- 4.Cavalcante, R., Finley, T., Rodger, S.H.: A Visual and Interactive Theory Course with JFLAP 4.0. In: Proceedings of the SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, pp. 140–144 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Anderson, D., Bennett, c., Hunyh, P., Rassbach, L.: Printing out Trees: Towards the Design of Tangible Objects for Education. In: Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Education and Technology, pp. 61–66 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Karwowski, R., Prusinkiewicz, P.: The L-system-based plant-modeling environment L-studio 4.0. In: Proceedings of The 4th International Workshop on Functional-Structural Plant Models, pp. 403–405 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Menzies, T.: Evaluation issues for Visual Programming Language: Handbook of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, vol. 2, pp. 93–101 (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Bergin, J., Brodlie, K., Goldweber, M., Jimenez-Peris, R., Khuri, S., Patino-Martinez, M., McNally, M., Naps, T., Rodger, S., Wilson, J.: An overview of visualization: its use and design, report of the working group on visualization. In: Proceedings of the 1st conference on Integrating technology into computer science education, pp. 192–200 (1996)Google Scholar
- 11.Deutsch, P.: Deutsch Limit, http://en.allexperts.com/e/d/de/deutsch_limit.htm
- 12.Teresi, S.: Programming Projects, http://teresi.us/html/main/programming.html