An Approach to Derive Parametric L-System Using Genetic Algorithm
In computer graphics, L-System is widely used to model artificial plants structures and fractals. The Genetic Algorithm (GA) is the most popular form of Evolutionary Algorithms. This paper examines a method for automatic plant modeling which is based on an integration of GA and Parametric L-System using appropriate fitness function. The approach is specifically based on the implementation of two layered GA to derive the rewriting rules of Parametric L-System. The higher level of GA deals with the evolution of symbols and lower level deals with the evolution of numerical parameters. Initial results derived from the approach are very promising, which shows that complicated branching structures can be easily derived by the multilayered architecture of GA.
KeywordsEvolutionary Algorithm Computer Graphics Genetic Algorithm Parametric L-System Visualization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Holland, J.: Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems. University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor (1975)Google Scholar
- 4.Noser, H., Wellauer, W., Stucki, P.: Rule-Based Animation System With GAs As Test-Bed For Generic Evolutionary Applications, Multimedia Laboratory of the University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH-8057 Zurich, SwitzerlandGoogle Scholar
- 5.Runqiang, B., Chen, P., Burrage, K., Hanan, J., Room, P., Belward, J.: Derivation of L-system models from measurements of biological branching structures using genetic algorithms. In: Hendtlass, T., Ali, M. (eds.) IEA/AIE 2002. LNCS, vol. 2358, p. 514. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Curry, R.: On the Evolution of Parametric L-Systems, Technical Report, Dept. of Computer Science, and University of Calgary (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Yodthong, R., Suchada, S., Chidchanok, L., Prabhas, C., Tadahiro, F., Norishige, C.: Modeling Leaf Shapes Using L-systems and GAs, http://www.cp.eng.chula.ac.th/~piak/paper/2002/nico2002.pdf
- 9.K´okai, G., V´anyi, R.: Evolving Artificial Trees Described by Parametric L-systems. In: Proceedings of the 1999 lEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, Shaw Conference Center, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, May 9-12 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Hanan, J.: Parametric L-systems and Their Application to the Modeling and Visualization of Plants. Ph.D. diss, University of Regina (1992)Google Scholar