Inter-frame Enhancement of Ultrasound Images Using Optical Flow
Ultrasound imaging, also known as ultrasound scanning or sonography, is a very popular medical test that helps medical doctors diagnose and treat medical conditions of their patients. However, one common problem that persists is that ultrasound images suffer from speckle noise that degrades their quality. In this paper we present an enhancement technique for ultrasound images by making use of three consecutive frames extracted from an ultrasound video. The technique uses the optical flow algorithm to reconstruct an intermediate frame based on the preceding and the following frames. The reconstructed image is then utilized to enhance the middle frame by mean of fusion. Based on the test, the best result is achieved using Lukas-Kanade optical flow and average operator.
KeywordsOptical flow inter-frame enhancement speckle noise ultrasound image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Filho, E.D.S., Yoshizawa, M., Iwamoto, T., Tanaka, A., Saijo, Y.: Morphological Fuzzy Filter for Enhancement of Intravascular Ultrasound Images. In: SICE Annual Conference in Sapporo, Japan (2004)Google Scholar
- Coleshill, J.E., Ferworn, A., Stacey, D.: Image Enhancement using Frame Extraction Through Time. In: 2007 International Conference on Systems, Computing Sciences and Software Engineering (CISSE), pp. 131–135 (2007)Google Scholar
- Liasis, N., Klonaris, C., Katsargyris, A., Georgopoulos, S., Labropoulos, S., Tsigris, C., Giannopoulos, A., Bastounis, E.: The Use of Speckle Reduction Imaging (SRI) Ultrasound, in the Characterization of Carotid Artery Plaques. European Journal of Radiology 65, 427–433 (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nam, T.J., Park, R.H., Yun, J.H.: Optical Flow Based Frame Interpolation of Ultrasound Images. In: 2006 International Conference on Image Analysis and Recognition (ICIAR), pp. 792–803 (2006)Google Scholar
- Jung, S.C., Woo, H.B., Paik, J.K., Choi, W.: Enhancement of Inter-Frame Coded Images Based on Convex Projection. In: 1999 IEEE TENCON, pp. 1275–1278 (1999)Google Scholar
- Grau, V., Noble, J.A.: Motion-Guided Anisotropic Filtering of Ultrasound Sequences. ISBI, 209–212 (2006)Google Scholar
- Zhao, W.Y.: Motion-Based Spatial-Temporal Image Repairing. In: 2004 International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 291–294 (2004)Google Scholar