Ontology Graphical Editor for Multilingual Document Search System
These research studies compare two methods for ontology creation and their corresponding tools. The main objective of this work is the building of a graphical editor for ontology construction, based on software usability criteria. This comparison shows which methods used in previous tools will remains in the new editor, and what new tools can be developed for enhancing the ontology management made using the old one.
The use of graphics and diagrams helps in the discovery of new knowledge, from information received from various sources, being the Internet or databases. This new type of editor improves the visualization of relations between the terms of ontologies and thereby improves the efficiency of its construction for commercial application systems. In addition, this form of information representation, based on these diagrams, will allow information systems based on ontologies to identify - automatically -concepts, hidden elements, the flow time between the events of cause and consequences and the meaning of relations between the captured information.
The Ontojuris project has the purpose given above, and it is described on this paper. The project consists of a multilingual information system for legal information retrieval associated with an ontology editor, called Knowledge Engineering Suite. The system accepts queries in one language, and allows information retrieval based on similarity of documents, written in one of several languages. The multilingual ontology editor works with the concept of Universal Words (UW’s). The UWs are universal representations of things and objects, and it is developed inside the UNL Project (being UNL an acronym for Universal Networking Language) and allows the query expansion in a multilingual way. Query expansion can improve searching process, required by user, by including additional terms which have similar meaning to the original query. In this study, we proposed a new expansion method which is based on domain ontology and UWs, to achieve better performance for a multilingual information retrieval. So, the Ontojuris project aims to facilitate access to information on legislation in the area of Intellectual Property Law, Consumer Rights and Electronic Law in the consortium formed by researches in Brazil, Chile, Spain and Argentina.
KeywordsMultilingual Ontology Indexing Query Expansion UWs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bueno, T.C.D.: Engenharia da Mente: Uma Metodologia de Representação do Conhecimento para a Construção de Ontologias em Sistemas Baseados em Conhecimento. Florianópolis: UFSC. Tese (Doutorado em Engenharia de Produção) - Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Bueno (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Bueno, T.C.D., Hoeschl, H.C., Mattos, E.S., Barcia, R.M., Wangenheim, C.G.V.: JurisConsulto: Retrieval in Jurisprudencial Text Bases using Juridical Terminology. In: The Seventh International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Law, 1999, Oslo. Proceedings of the Conference, vol. 1, pp. 147–155. ACM, New York (1999), http://doi.acm.org/, doi:10.1145/323706.323789CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Bueno, T.C.D., Bedin, S.M., Cancellier, F., Hoeschl, H.C.: Evaluating the effectiveness of a knowledge representation based on ontology in ontoweb system. In: Larsen, H.L., Pasi, G., Ortiz-Arroyo, D., Andreasen, T., Christiansen, H. (eds.) FQAS 2006. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 4027, pp. 625–633. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Cardeñosa, J., Gallardo, C., Iraola, L., de La Villa, M.A.: A new knowledge representation model to support multilingual ontologies. In: A case study. IKE 2008 – The 2008 Internacional Conference on Information and Knowledge Engineering, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA (July 14-17, 2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Guyot, J., Radhouani, S., Falquet, G.: Ontology-Based Multilingual Information Retrieval. In: Working Notes for the CLEF 2005 Workshop, Vienna, Austria, September 21-23 (2005), http://clef-campaign.org/2005/working_notes/workingnotes2005/guyot05.pdf
- 7.Heer, J., Card, S.K., Landay, J.A.: Prefuse: A Toolkit for Interactive Information Visualization. In: ACM Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI), pp. 421–430 (2005), http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1054972.1055031
- 8.Ontojuris Project: (login and password required), http://www.i3g.org.br/ontojuris/sistema.html
- 9.Schweighofer, E., Anton, G.: Legal Query Expansion using Ontologies and Relevance Feedback. In: Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Legal Ontologies and Artificial Intelligence Techniques (LOAIT 2007), June 4. Stanford University, Stanford (2007), http://ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Publications/CEUR-WS/Vol-321/paper9.pdf Google Scholar
- 10.Universal Networking Digital Language Foundation, http://www.undl.org/ (accessed on September 2008)
- 11.Joachims, T.: A Probabilistic Analysis of the Rocchio Algorithm with TFIDF for Text Categorization. In: Proceedings of the Fourteenth International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML 1997), July 8-12, pp. 143–151. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (1997), http://www.cs.cornell.edu/people/tj/publications/joachims_etal_97b.pdf Google Scholar
- 12.Clusty, http://clusty.com/ (acessado em Novembro de 2008)
- 13.Valdes-Perez, R.: Introducing Clustering 2.0, http://searchdoneright.com/2008/01/introducing-clustering-2.0/ (accessed on November 2008)
- 14.Valdes-Perez, R.: How To Evaluate A Clustering Search Engine, http://searchdoneright.com/2007/03/how-to-evaluate-a-clustering-search-engine/ (accessed on November 2008)
- 15.Bresciani, S., Blackwell, A., Eppler, M.: Choosing visualisations for collaborative work and meetings: A guide to usability dimensions. Darwin College Research Report – DCRR-007 Darwin College. Cambridge University. United Kingdom CB3 9EU. Darwin College Research Report – DCRR-007 - ISSN 1749-9194 (February 2008), http://www.dar.cam.ac.uk/dcrr
- 16.Bresciani, S., Eppler, M.J.: Usability of Diagrams for Group Knowledge Work: Toward an Analytic Description. In: Conference Proceedings I-KNOW 2007, Graz, Austria, pp. 416–423 (2007), http://www.knowledge-communication.org/publications.html (acesso em maio de 2009)
- 17.Stradiotto, C., Pacheco, E., Bortolon, A., Hoeschl, H.C.: A Graphic Tool for Ontology Viewing Based on Graph Theory. In: Professional Practice in Artificial Intelligence, IFIP 19th World Computer Congress, TC 12: Professional Practice Stream, Santiago, Chile, August 21-24, pp. 141–150. IFIP 218. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)Google Scholar
- 18.PostgreSQL, http://www.postgresql.org/ (acessed on July 2009)
- 19.Linhalis, F.: Mapeamento Semantico entre UNL e componentes de software para execução de requisições imperativas em linguagem natural - Tese de Doutorado - Universidade de São Paulo - Biblioteca Digital de Teses e Dissertações, http://www.teses.usp.br/teses/disponiveis/55/55134/tde-18052007-103617/ (acessed on July 2009)
- 20.Espinoza, M., Gomez Perez, A., Mena, E.: Enriching an Ontology with Multilingual Information. In: Bechhofer, S., Hauswirth, M., Hoffmann, J., Koubarakis, M. (eds.) ESWC 2008. LNCS, vol. 5021, pp. 333–347. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)Google Scholar