Dynamic Epistemic Temporal Logic
We introduce a new type of arrow in the update frames (or “action models”) of Dynamic Epistemic Logic in a way that enables us to reason about epistemic temporal dynamics in multi-agent systems that need not be synchronous. Since van Benthem and Pacuit (later joined by Hoshi and Gerbrandy) showed that standard Dynamic Epistemic Logic necessarily satisfies synchronicity, it follows that our arrow type is a new way of extending the domain of applicability of the Dynamic Epistemic Logic approach. Furthermore, our framework provides a new perspective on the van Benthem et al work itself. In particular, while each of our work and their work shows that epistemic temporal models generated by standard update frames necessarily satisfy certain structural properties such as synchronicity, our work clarifies the way in which these structural properties arise as a result of the inherent structure of standard update frames themselves.
KeywordsKripke Model Epistemic Logic Past State Isomorphism Theorem Inherent Structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baltag, A., van Ditmarsch, H.P., Moss, L.S.: Epistemic logic and information update. In: Adriaans, P., van Benthem, J. (eds.) Handbook on the Philosophy of Information, pp. 369–463. Elsevier, Amsterdam (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Baltag, A., Moss, L., Solecki, S.: The logic of public announcements, common knowledge and private suspicions. In: Gilboa, I. (ed.) TARK 1998, pp. 43–56 (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.van Benthem, J., Gerbrandy, J., Hoshi, T., Pacuit, E.: Merging frameworks for interaction. Journal of Philosophical Logic (in press, 2009)Google Scholar
- 6.van Benthem, J., Gerbrandy, J., Pacuit, E.: Merging frameworks for interaction: DEL and ETL. In: Proceedings of the 11th Conference on Theoretical Aspects of Rationality and Knowledge (TARK XI), pp. 72–81 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Hoshi, T., Yap, A.: Dynamic epistemic logic with branching temporal structures. Synthese (in press, 2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Renne, B.: A survey of Dynamic Epistemic Logic. Manuscript (July 2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Renne, B., Sack, J., Yap, A.: Dynamic Epistemic Temporal Logic. Extended Manuscript (June 2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Yap, A.: Dynamic epistemic logic and temporal modality. Forthcoming in Proceedings of Dynamic Logic Montréal (2007)Google Scholar