Single and Multiple-Access Channel Capacity in Molecular Nanonetworks
Molecular communication is a new nano-scale communication paradigm that enables nanomachines to communicate with each other by emitting molecules to their surrounding environment. Nanonetworks are also envisioned to be composed of a number of nanomachines with molecular communication capability that are deployed in an environment to share specific molecular information such as odor, flavour, light, or any chemical state. In this paper, using the principles of natural ligand-receptor binding mechanisms in biology, we first derive a capacity expression for single molecular channel in which a single Transmitter Nanomachine (TN) communicates with a single Receiver Nanomachine (RN). Then, we investigate the capacity of the molecular multiple-access channel in which multiple TNs communicate with a single RN. Numerical results reveal that high molecular communication capacities can be attainable for the single and multiple-access molecular channels.
KeywordsMolecular communication Nanonetworks Single molecular channel Molecular multiple-access channel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hiyama, S., Moritani, Y., Suda, T., Egashira, R., Enomoto, A., Moore, M., Nakano, T.: Molecular Communication. In: Proc. of NSTI Nanotechnology Conference and Trade Show, California, USA, pp. 391–394 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Moore, M., Enomoto, A., Nakano, T., Egashira, R., Suda, T., Kayasuga, A., Kojima, H., Sakakibara, H., Oiwa, K.: A Design of a Molecular Communication System for Nanomachines Using Molecular Motors. In: Proc. of IEEE International Workshops on Pervasive Computing and Communications (PERCOMW), Italy (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Eckford, A.W.: Molecular communication: Physically realistic models and achievable information rates. Submitted to IEEE Transactions on Information Theory (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Eckford, A.W.: Nanoscale communication with Brownian motion. In: Proc. of International Conference on Information Sciences and Systems, Baltimore, MD, pp. 160–165 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Atakan, B., Akan, O.B.: On Channel Capacity and Error Compensation in Molecular Communication. Springer Trans. on Computational System Biology 10, 59–80 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Atakan, B., Akan, O.B.: On Molecular Multiple-Access, Broadcast and Relay Channels in Nanonetworks. In: Proc. of ACM International Conference on Bio-Inspired Models of Network, Information, and Computing Systems (BIONETICS), Hyogo, Japan (2008)Google Scholar