Statistical Model Checking Using Perfect Simulation
We propose to perform statistical probabilistic model checking by using perfect simulation in order to verify steady-state and time unbounded until formulas over Markov chains. The model checking of probabilistic models by statistical methods has received increased attention in the last years since it provides an interesting alternative to numerical model checking which is poorly scalable with the increasing model size. In previous statistical model checking works, unbounded until formulas could not be efficiently verified, and steady-state formulas had not been considered due to the burn-in time problem to detect the steady-state. Perfect simulation is an extension of Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) methods that allows us to obtain exact steady-state samples of the underlying Markov chain, and thus it avoids the burn-in time problem to detect the steady-state. Therefore we suggest to verify time unbounded until and steady-state dependability properties for large Markov chains through statistical model checking by combining perfect simulation and statistical hypothesis testing.
KeywordsModel Check Sample Path Atomic Proposition Discrete Event System Discrete Time Markov Chain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.El Rabih, D., Pekergin, N.: Statistical model checking for steady state dependability verification. In: WIP paper in proceedings of 2nd International conference on Dependability. DEPEND 2009, IEEE CS proceedings, Athens, Greece (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Keshav, S.: An Engineering approach to computer networking. Addison Wesley, Reading (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Sen, K., Viswanathan, M., Agha, G.: On Statistical Model Checking of Stochastic Systems. In: Etessami, K., Rajamani, S.K. (eds.) CAV 2005. LNCS, vol. 3576, pp. 266–280. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Vincent, J.-M., Vienne, J.: PSI2 a Software Tool for the Perfect Simulation of Finite Queuing Networks. In: QEST, Edinburgh (September 2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Busic, A., Gaujal, B., Vincent, J.-M.: Perfect simulation and non-monotone (Markovian) systems. In: Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Performance Evaluation Methodologies and Tools, VALUETOOLS 2008, Athens, Greece (October 2008)Google Scholar