Pattern Analysis for an Automatic and Low-Cost 3D Face Acquisition Technique
This paper proposes an automatic 3D face modeling and localizing technique, based on active stereovision. In the offline stage, the optical and geometrical parameters of the stereosensor are estimated. In the online acquisition stage, alternate complementary patterns are successively projected. The captured right and left images are separately analyzed in order to localize left and right primitives with sub-pixel precision. This analysis also provides us with an efficient segmentation of the informative facial region. Epipolar geometry transforms a stereo matching problem into a one-dimensional search problem. Indeed, we employ an adapted, optimized dynamic programming algorithm to pairs of primitives which are already located in each epiline. 3D geometry is retrieved by computing the intersection of optical rays coming from the pair of matched features. A pipeline of geometric modeling techniques is applied to densify the obtained 3D point cloud, and to mesh and texturize the 3D final face model. An appropriate evaluation strategy is proposed and experimental results are provided.
KeywordsActive stereovision Amplitude analysis Biometry Plastic surgery Sub-pixel sampling Dynamic programming Face segmentation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.D’Apuzzo, N.: Modeling human faces with multi-image photogrammetry. In: Proceedings of SPIE, San Jose, California (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Ben Amor, B., Ardabilian, M., Chen, L.: Efficient and low-cost 2.5D and 3D face photography for recognition. In: IEEE International Conference on Signal-Image Technology and Internet-based Systems, Yaounde, Cameroun (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Ben Amor, B., Ardabilian, M., Chen, L.: An Improved 3D Human Face Reconstruction Approach Based on Cubic Splines Models. In: IEEE Int. Symposium on 3D Data Processing Visualization and Transmission, North Carolina (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Garcia, E., Dugelay, J.L., Delingette, H.: Low Cost 3D Face Acquisition and Modeling. In: ITCC, Las Vegas (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhang, L., Curless, B., Seitz, S.M.: Rapid shape acquisition using color structured light and multipass dynamic programming. In: IEEE Int. Symposium on 3D Data Processing Visualization and Transmission, Padova (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Ouji, K., Ben Amor, B., Ardabilian, M., Chen, L., Ghorbel, F.: 3D Face Recognition using R-ICP and Geodesic Coupled Approach. In: IEEE International MultiMedia Modeling, Sophia-Antipolis (2009)Google Scholar