Project-Based Collaborative Learning Environment with Context-Aware Educational Services
Teaching and learning software design patterns (DPs) is not an easy task. Apart from learning individual DPs and the principles behind them, students should learn how to apply them in real-life situations. Therefore, to make the learning process of DPs effective, it is necessary to include a project component in which students, usually in small teams, develop a medium-sized software application. Furthermore, it is necessary to provide students with means for easy discovery of relevant learning resources and possible collaborators. In this paper, we propose an extensive project-based collaborative learning environment for learning software DPs that integrates several existing educational systems and tools based on the common ontological foundation. The learning process in the suggested environment is further facilitated and augmented by several context-aware educational services.
KeywordsSemantic web ontologies collaborative learning project-based learning software patterns context-awareness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jazayeri, M.: The Education of a Software Engineer. In: Proc. of the 19th IEEE Int’l Conf. on Automated Soft. Eng., pp. xviii-xxvii (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Warren, I.: Migrating to a Teaching Style that Facilitates Active Learning. CiLTHE Stage 1 Dissertation, Lancaster University (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Kearsley, G., Schneiderman, B.: Engagement theory: A framework for technology-based learning and teaching (1999), http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm
- 7.Jovanović, J., Gašević, D., Brooks, C., Devedžić, V., Hatala, M., Eap, T., Richards, G.: Using Semantic Web Technologies for the Analysis of Learning Content. IEEE Internet Computing 11(5) (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Baghaei, N., Mitrovic, A., Irwin, W.: Supporting collaborative learning and problem-solving in a constraint-based CSCL environment for UML class diagrams. International Journal of CSCL 2(2-3), 150–190 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Ghidini, C., Pammer, V., Scheir, P., Serafini, L., Lindstaedt, S.: APOSDLE: Learn@work with semantic web technology. In: I-Know 2007, Graz, Austria (2007)Google Scholar