Ontology-Based Concept Indexing of Images
The search for inspirational images is an important part of creative design. When identifying inspirational materials, designers search semantic domains that are different from the target domain and use semantic adjectives in combination with the traditionally used keywords. This paper describes research conducted within the TRENDS project, which aimed at developing a software tool for the needs of concept cars designers. The goal was to assist them with the process of collecting inspirational images from various sectors of influence. The paper describes the ontology tagging algorithm developed to index the images in the TRENDS database using concepts from two ontologies: a generic ontology called OntoRo, and a domain-specific ontology CTA developed for the needs of the project. The paper presents the evaluation of the developed algorithm and suggests areas for further research.
KeywordsConcept indexing semantic indexing ontology-based annotation semantic search ontology tagging
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Westerman, S.J., Kaur, S., Mougenot, C., Sourbe, L., Bouchard, C.: The impact of Computer-based Support on Product Designers’ Search for Inspirational Materials. In: Proc. of the 3rd I*PROMS Int. Conf., Cardiff, UK, July 2-13, pp. 581–586 (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Setchi, R., Tang, Q.: Semantic-based Representation of Content Using Concept Indexing. In: Proc. of the 3rd I*PROMS Int. Conf., Cardiff, UK, July 2-13, pp. 611–618 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Bouchard, C., Mougenot, C., Omhover, J.F., Setchi, R., Aoussat, A.: Building a Domain Ontology for Designers: Towards a Kansei Based Ontology. In: Proc. of the 3rd I*PROMS Int. Conf., Cardiff, UK, July 2-13, pp. 587–592 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Setchi, R., Tang, Q.: Concept Indexing Using Ontology and Supervised Machine Learning. Transactions on Engineering, Computing and Technology 19, 221–226 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Gene-Ontology-Consortium. Creating the Gene Ontology Resource: Design and Implementation. Genome Res. 11(8), 1425–1433 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.WordNet, http://wordnet.princeton.edu/ (last accessed 24/03/2009)
- 12.Cyc, http://www.ontotext.com/downloads/CycMDB.html (last accessed 24/03/2009)
- 14.Dill, S., Eiron, N., Gibson, D., Gruhl, D., Guha, R., Jhingran, A., Kanungo, K., McCurley, S., Rajagopalan, S., Tomkins, A., Tomlin, J.A., Zien, J.Y.: A Case for Automated Large-Scale Semantic Annotation, Web Semantics. Science, Services and Agents on the World Wide Web 1(1), 115–132 (2003)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Davidson, E. (ed.): Roget’s Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases. Penguin, UK (2003)Google Scholar
- 20.Ontology Tagger (June 12, 2008), http://www.trendsproject.org (last accessed 25/03/2009)