Development of an Effective Travel Time Prediction Method Using Modified Moving Average Approach
Prediction of travel time on road network has emerged as a crucial research issue in intelligent transportation system (ITS). Travel time prediction provides information that may allow travelers to change their routes as well as departure time. To provide accurate travel time for travelers is the key challenge in this research area. In this paper, we formulate two new methods which are based on moving average can deal with this kind of challenge. In conventional moving average approach, data may lose at the beginning and end of a series. It may sometimes generate cycles or other movements that are not present in the original data. Our proposed modified method can strongly tackle those kinds of uneven presence of extreme values. We compare the proposed methods with the existing prediction methods like Switching method  and NBC method . It is also revealed that proposed methods can reduce error significantly in compared with other existing methods.
KeywordsIntelligent transportation system travel time prediction moving average NBC method Switching method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chen, M., Chien, S.: Dynamic freeway travel time prediction using probe vehicle data: Link-based vs. Path-based. J. of Transportation Research Record, TRB Paper No. 01-2887, Washington, DC, pp. 157-161 (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Chun-Hsin, W., Chia-Chen, W., Da-Chun, S., Ming-Hua, C., Jan-Ming, H.: Travel Time Prediction with Support Vector Regression. In: IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference, vol. 2, pp. 1438–1442 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Kwon, J., Petty, K.: A travel time prediction algorithm scalable to freeway networks with many nodes with arbitrary travel routes. In: Transportation Research Board 84th Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, pp. 147–153 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Kwon, J., Coifman, B., Bickel, P.J.: Day-to-day travel time trends and travel time prediction from loop detector data. J. of Transportation Research Record, No. 1717, TRB, National Research Council, Washington, DC, pp. 120–129 (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Schmitt Erick, J., Jula, H.: On the Limitations of Linear Models in Predicting Travel Times. In: IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference, pp. 830–835 (2007)Google Scholar