Modular Neural Networks with Fuzzy Response Integration for Signature Recognition
This chapter describes a modular neural network (MNN) for the problem of signature recognition. Currently, biometric identification has gained a great deal of research interest within the pattern recognition community. For instance, many attempts have been made in order to automate the process of identifying a person’s handwritten signature, however this problem has proven to be a very difficult task. In this work, we propose a MNN that has three separate modules, each using different image features as input, these are: edges, wavelet coefficients, and the Hough transform matrix. Then, the outputs from each of these modules are combined using a Sugeno fuzzy integral. The experimental results obtained using a database of 30 individual’s shows that the modular architecture can achieve a very high 98% recognition accuracy with a test set of 150 images. Therefore, we conclude that the proposed architecture provides a suitable platform to build a signature recognition system.
KeywordsDiscrete Wavelet Transform Wavelet Coefficient Signature Recognition Feature Extraction Method Fuzzy Measure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Zhang, D.: Automated Biometrics Technologies and Systems, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, ch. 10, pp. 203–206. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Keller, J., Gader, P., Hocaoglu, A.: Integrals in image processing and recognition. In: Grabisch, M., et al. (eds.) Fuzzy Measures and Integrals: Theory and Applications, pp. 435–466. Physica-Verlag, NY (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Grabisch, M.: A new algorithm for identifying fuzzy measures and its application to pattern recognition. In: Proc. of 4th IEEE Int. Conf. on Fuzzy Systems, Yokohama, Japan, pp. 145–150 (1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Mendoza, O., Melin, P.: The Fuzzy Sugeno Integral as a Decision Operator in the Recognition of Images with Modular Neural Networks, Tijuana Institute of Technology, México. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Melin, P., Mancilla, A., González, C., Bravo, D.: Modular Neuronal Networks with Fuzzy Sugeno Integral Response Integration for Face and Fingerprint Recognition. In: The International MultiConference in Computer Science and Computer Enginnering, Las Vegas, USA, vol.1, pp. 91–97 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Melin, P., Felix, C., Castillo, O.: Face Recognition using Modular Neural Networks and the Fuzzy Sugeno Integral for Response Integration. Journal of Intelligent Systems 20(2), 275–29 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Melin, P., Gonzalez, C., Bravo, D., Gonzalez, F., Martinez, G.: Modular Neural Networks and Fuzzy Sugeno Integral for Pattern Recognition: Then Case of Human Face and Fingerprint, Tijuana Institute of Technology, Tijuana, Mexico. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Kung, S., Mak, M., Lin, S.: Biometric Authentication A Machine Learning Approach. Prentice Hall Information and System Sciences Series (Kailath, T., Series ed.), pp. 27–49 (2005)Google Scholar